Seagate FreeAgent

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Dizzee, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Dizzee macrumors member

I think im pretty set on getting a 1TB Seagate FreeAgent (unless anyone can convince me otherwise). Now my question is, what is the difference b/w the Pro and the XTreme version? I cant figure it out, except that the colors are different. And on new egg and amazon there are no reviews for the XTreme but great reviews for the Pro. HELP!

2. gpeden macrumors regular

Hi there,

While not answering your question.....

I regret purchasing my FreeAgent Pro 750 gig drive. Mainly because of the lack of a power switch - they tell you to just unplug the power adapter. Cheap! :) Also, while it does have eSATA, FW 400 and USB ports, it does not have two 6 pin firewire ports, so it's at the end of the daisy chain by default.

I'm much happier with the 1 TB Seagate drive that I put into an Other World Computing Mercury Elite Pro FW 800 enclosure (Also has FW400, USB, eSATA ports).

I should add that the OWC drive has two FW800 ports, but only has one of each of the other ports.

Cheers!

Glen

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

While the interfaces and such are the same for both drives, I noticed that the "added to Amazon" dates were about a year different and went and checked Seagate's site. It seem that the FreeAgent Pro is the old model, while the XTreme is the new, currently shipping model. Don't know what changes they have made other than the case (which I have to admit is pretty good looking as far as hardware eye candy goes! ;) ). Looking at the image gallery of it on newegg.com it almost looks like there is a switch in the new model at the very bottom, but can't tell for sure. Pictures on the Seagate site itself are no better for determining that.

4. Fusioncat macrumors newbie

Free Agent power standby mode saving feature

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2008/09/28/seagate-freeagent-xtreme-1tb/1

Hi, sorry to bring this thread up. I noticed a few people are concerned with the lack of power button. Just to share why this is not included at least due to two reasons

1. Power saving feature. - 5watts of power
    2. Reduce hard disk life (on/off switch) as well as data corruption, some users I have known may switch off when the system is still writing to the data in the background.

If you are concern with power button, you could use a multi plug that supports switch.

Also to note FreeAgent Xtreme has two firewire 400 1394a port, that allows you to daisy chain.

Best regards