Seagate Go Flex Encryption Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mobster1983, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Mobster1983 macrumors 6502a

I have two Seagate Go Flex 3TB drive and have been trying to format to Mac OS Extended (Journaled, Encrypted). Every time I try to erase and format to an encrypted drive I get the following error:

Disk Encryption Failed
    Disk Erase failed with the error: Unable to create a boot loader partition due to the specifics of your partition map layout.

Anyone know how I can encrypt this drive?

2. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

3. mike457 macrumors 6502

You probably need to change it over to GUID. If I recall, it comes as MBR. In Disk Utility under partitions, this should be an option.

4. iVoid macrumors 65816

Apple's encryption (and SecureDoc FYI) doesn't support hard drives with 4k sectors (the new 'Advanced Format' drives).

I found this out the hard way after getting a 'deal' on 3TB drives but having to return them since they need to be encrypted for my setup.

Until Apple starts supporting encryption of 3TB drives (or any drive with 4k sectors), you're out of luck.

5. Mobster1983 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Here's the disk information below from the Partition tab. The Partition Map Scheme just says Apple Partition Map. How to I check if it is MBR and how do I change it to GUID?

Disk Description :Seagate
    Total Capacity : 3 TB (3,000,592,977,920 Bytes)
    Connection Bus : FireWire
    Write Status : Read/Write
    Connection Type : External
    S.M.A.R.T. Status : Not Supported
    Partition Map Scheme : Apple Partition Map

iVoid Thanks for the info. I'm really hoping that's not the case.

6. iVoid macrumors 65816

When you goto partition the drive, there's an [Options...]button. Click that and you can set the partition scheme.

Sadly, I'm confident this is the case since I tried several 3TB drives and both failed to encrypt with both Apple's encrypted format and SecureDoc.