Seagate GoFlex and Time Machine

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by makingmusic, Jun 26, 2011.

1. makingmusic macrumors regular

I recently bought the 2 TB Seagate GoFlex to use on my 2011 iMac for Time Machine. I have had NO luck with this drive. It will perform the initial TM backup and then quit after a few days. Disk Utilities will not repair and so I have to reformat and start over. I called Seagate (they recommended calling Apple) and then gave me reformatting advice - use GUID. I did what they said and it died again! I just reformatted and used Zero Out to really start from scratch. Not sure it will work this time but am about to give up! Any other suggestions?

2. Uffish Thought macrumors member

Which Seagate drive connection are you using? USB, Ethernet, WiFi, FW 800?

I've had nothing but trouble with mine. It's a Ethernet drive that worked for a month, then quit. I bought a FW 800 base and formated the drive HFS+ and it works like a champ while connected to the FW 800 port.

I bought a new TC 2T and connected the Seagate to the USB port. I got it to work, but it took a bit of time for the MBP to see the drive.

Now I can use Time Machine to back up to the Seagate via USB, or the TC.

I haven't tried using the Seagate drive for access to media such as movies files. That is next on my list. I used Filebrowser previously to access the movies from my iPad, and it worked well. I will try it tomorrow and see if it's still working.

3. makingmusic thread starter macrumors regular

I have the USB Seagate GoFlex 2 TB. I LOVE how quiet it is and it works great for non-TM but seems to quit on TM. My TM has been backing up now for 24 hours and so far so good. The only thing I did differently this time was to zero out the drive when formatting. I also changed the Computer Sleep function on my iMac to "never" wondering if this would interfere. [This feature also interfered with iPad Logmein]. I'll keep you posted - the next 2 days will be critical.