Seagate GoFlex Desk

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Newbe, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Newbe macrumors member

Has anyone used the Seagate GoFlex Desk external hard drive for their Mac? If so what is your opinion on it? It seems as though each person has their own preference . . . WD, LaCie, GTechnology etc. I don't know which one to purchase:confused:.

2. IL2AZ macrumors newbie

I Have 2 Seagates, and use one as my TimeMachine Backup

As stated in the title, I do use Seagate externals. I have a GoFlex, which I use strictly as my TimeMachine backup drive, I manually back-up my Mac (about once a week, maybe less if I'm being lazy). I also have an older Seagate that I reformatted and partitioned, so that I can use half for my Windows files and the other for my Mac. I haven't had any problems, and found that even for a novice it is easy to find tutorials that allow you to manipulate the drives for your purposes. I did the partitioning so long ago that I'd have to go back and read how I did it, so trust me, I'm far from a techie. Bottom line, I like the size, the ease of use, and the reliability they have provided me, so I would recommend them. Good luck to you!

3. sfarooq macrumors newbie

I got the 1TB drive about a month back and I use it to transfer files between my IMac and Win 7 PC and also to take manual backups of some of my IMac directories.

Pros for it are its reasonable price, ease of use, and the ability to connect both Mac's and Win PC's.

Cons the only one I can see thus far is the copy speed which is fairly slow.

Hope the above helps :)

4. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

I've two of the 3TB ones. One I use between the Macs and PCs, and the other I ripped apart for the 3TB Barracuda XT within.

5. jsm4182 macrumors 6502

I have 3 different 1TB Seagate desktop drives, one of them being the GoFlex, and a portable GoFlex. I have always had good experiences with Seagate drives, and the GoFlex ones are my fastest since I got the Firewire 800 upgrade kits for both of them.

6. yashrg macrumors regular

yashrg

I have one Seagate Goflex Desk 4TB hard drive. It is set as the time machine backup drive. And I have been having problems on my iMac for the last couple of days. I randomly get message about a device being unplugged improperly. And Finder hangs and Time machine gets stuck at Preparing Backup stage. I wouldn't recommend this hard drive to anyone!

7. camardelle macrumors 6502

I've had mine for a week or two. I got the 1.5T version from best buy for $99 and use it for time machine backup. No problems so far.