Seagate GoFlex External HD, help formating to NTFS-3G

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by marddin, Jul 9, 2012.

1. marddin macrumors 6502

So I have a seagate goFlex external drive. I had it formatted to Mac OS Journal because I was only working on macs. I have recently began using some windows machines and need the possibility to read AND write to my external drive from both operating systems.

I have done a bit of research and seen that the only way this is possible is if you format your drive to NTFS-3G but I can't seem to figure out how to do this.

I have gotten to http://sourceforge.net/projects/ntfs-3g/ but have no clue how to download or how to further format my drive.

Any assistance or alternate method would be GREATLY appreciated, Thanks!

Martin

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Format A Hard Drive Using Disk Utility (which is in your /Applications/Utilities folder)

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
    • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
    • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
      [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
      • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon (approx $20) (Best Choice for Lion)
      • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
      • For 64-bit Snow Leopard, read this: MacFUSE for 64-bit Snow Leopard
      • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36).
      • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and Lion, but is not advisable, due to instability.
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
    • Maximum file size: 16 TB
    • Maximum volume size: 256TB
    • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.

3. marddin thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, thank you for the clear and concise response.

I followed the steps to install the DMG and point it to the proper drive (my external) but it will not allow me to install Samsung-NTFS-3G to my external because "Samsung NTFS-3G can't be installed on this disk. You can only install this software on the disk that is running Mac OS X".

Any further help you can provide? thanks so much.

P.S. This is a pain in the ass.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Use Paragon, as recommended in the bold text of my post.

Installing Applications in Mac OS X

5. marddin thread starter macrumors 6502

I know how to install programs. And I do not want to pay $20 for an app where I could do it for free. As to how to complete this task I am unsure which is why I posted a thread in this forum.

6. chown33 macrumors 604

The external disk is not the proper install drive. Follow the instructions and install the software on the disk that's running Mac OS X.

You don't need to install NTFS-3G on the external disk. It's already formatted as NTFS, so installing software on that disk doesn't make sense. What needs to happen is the OS (Mac OS X) needs to be given a driver (NTFS-3G) so it can write to the external disk (which is formatted as NTFS).

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apparently not, since you don't install it to the external drive.

8. marddin thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't know it had to be installed on the computer first and then the drive. After installing to my computer, I went to disk utility to re-format the external drive to NTFS-3G. After completing the re-format I can read/write on windows but can only read on mac. Any ideas?

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't install it on the computer and the external drive. You install it on the computer only. That enables Mac OS X to read/write/format NTFS drives.
    Right-click on the drive and "Get Info". What format does it show? Did you restart your Mac after installing NTFS-3G?

10. marddin thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't install it on the drive. I installed it on the computer. Then went to disk utility and formatted the external to NTFS-3G. Once selecting Get Info on the the format shows NTFS-3G.

I tested by plugging into a windows at work. And I was able to read and write. Then coming back to the back, I was only able to read, and not write.

Yes I did Restart after installing as I was instructed to do so.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

In the Get Info window, what does it show for permissions?

12. kpgh554 macrumors regular

kpgh554

have you tried format in msdos