Seagate GoFlex Satellite w/ iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AFPoster, Aug 29, 2012.

1. AFPoster macrumors 65816

Just curious if anyone has the Seagate device for their iPad.

Just a couple of questions:
    How do you connect to this if you don't have wifi (like in a car) can it work off of cellular or can you create a false network on the iPad?

If it's wirelessly streaming video is the quality just as good and does it skip? I've had issues with the :apple:TV from iPad and iPhone.

How can you attach documents from the HardDrive to an e-mail?

Any other information on this thing that isn't in the specs would be greatly appreciated. Googling youtube videos now to see performance.

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The drive generates its own wifi network which your ipad would join.

3. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

Well this is a nice feature but at the same time it's dumb. Seems like it disconnects you from an actual Wi-Fi connection so you can't use the internet or send e-mails until you disconnect. Makes no sense since I would be using this for documents. Maybe it's just me but I feel they didn't think this through.

4. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

It's a media server. I suppose if your using it to stream music that would be an issue. But if your using it to stream movies it would not.
    I did return mine. The app you use to navigate the media was just awful.
    Cumbersome and slow, music was all messed up as far as playlists and artwork.
    It was just more of a hassle than it was worth.

5. dowser81 macrumors newbie

Have had a seagate for a few months now

I have had my seagate satellite hdd for a few months now and I cannot fault it one bit 500gb of movies for my iPad sounds like happy days for me and my iPad when I have nothing to do offshore. Going to buy the thunderbolt attachment so it will be even quicker for my rMBP as well.

6. MrMoore macrumors 6502

There was a firmware update that allows you to connected to it via Wi-fi and still have an internet connection. The Satellite would connect to your router to get internet access.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105...ex-satellite-gets-boost-from-firmware-update/

7. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

8. big samm macrumors 65816

I love the hardware but the software is ****. I have about 10 tv shows with lots of season, which means many of episodes... Its a pita just to find a specific episodes since you can't see the titles completely under the thumbnail... I hate it!!!!

9. playtillyadrop macrumors member

i use my seagate satellite hdd with xbmc on the new ipad. I personally think this is the best combination. well i also have a sd card adapter i use as well but still the seagate combination is the best

10. jrm27 macrumors 6502

not to hijack.. however, can one transfer files from the ipad to the Satellite? Perhaps using a Camera Connector Kit?

11. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

How does that work. I have the satellite but the go flex app doesn't allow me to play some of the videos through its app.