Seagate GoFlex Thunderbolt Adapter with 3.5" drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pjny, Jan 31, 2014.

1. pjny macrumors 6502a

HI,

I got the Seagate GoFlex Thunderbolt Adapter for 2.5" SSD and connected a 3.5" Hitachi drive but it won't power. Is there a way to make it work? I don't want to have to buy the 3.5" desktop Seagate GoFlex Thunderbolt Adapter for $150 or so for my 3.5" drive.

Also, I connect my Macbook Pro to NEC 27" PA271 via thunderbolt-minidisplayport. This takes up the thunderbold port and the Seagate GoFlex Thunderbolt Adapter 2.5" cannot connect. The Seagate GoFlex Thunderbolt Adapter desktop version had two thunderbolt ports.

Will I be able to connect the display to the Seagate GoFlex Thunderbolt Adapter desk which is connected to the Macbook Pro?

Or is the second thunderbolt port on the Seagate GoFlex Thunderbolt Adapter desktop version only for daisychaining a second drive?

Thanks.

2. g4cube macrumors 6502a

There is no way for the 2.5" adapter to power a 3.5" drive.

Be careful. You don't want to blow-out the adapter or your Thunderbolt port when the initial surge tries to spin-up the 3.5" drive.

Unless the damage is already done.

Use the desktop adapter.

3. nkawal macrumors regular

If you don't mind spending $3.00 for an esata cable and $20-$30 for an external esata case, then there is a solution for you. This is what i have running.

I have a 2011 Mac Mini with thunderbolt cable going to the seagate 2.5 goflex, from there, the esata cable comes out and goes into my OWC mercury elite PRO Q2X case that has 4 - 2TB drives. The case is powered and everything works flawlessly.

http://camerarentalz.com/diy-thunderbolt-esata-adapter/