Seagate hard drive problems

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by VanMan, Feb 3, 2008.

1. VanMan macrumors newbie

I purchased one of the new Seagate 7200.11 750 GB hard drives with 32MB cache for my early 08 Mac Pro. I noticed when I installed it that System Profiler listed the model as "invalid". On the newegg forums they say that many of these models shipped with deficient firmware that causes the computer to see 0 MB of cache. My attempts at getting support from Seagate have resulted in them sending me .exe and DOS files to upgrade the firmware even though I made it very clear I have a Mac. Does anyone else have the same problem or a solution?

2. peejack macrumors 6502a

Well you should go back to seagate and ask them how they would like you to use an .exe file on a Mac?

3. VanMan thread starter macrumors newbie

I did. No response yet.

4. thxdave macrumors member

Also, if they tell you which version of the firmware will work with the MP, let us know. I'm not sure if the firmware version is printed on the outside of the packaging or not.

5. SolrFlare macrumors regular

The answer is to borrow a friend's PC for 15 minutes to update the firmware. Yeah I know it's stupid, but it'll work no problem and honestly it'll take far less time than to argue with Seagate and get some sort of alternate solution.

6. bilbo--baggins macrumors 6502a

Argue with Seagate. It's a matter if principle.

7. snagitseven macrumors member

I have a PC laptop from work. How would the drive connect for a firmware upgrade? It only has USB, VGA and no floppy (has CD/DVD). Also, no external HD enclosure available.

8. Reach macrumors 6502a

Borrow a PC?! Does this not work through BootCamp/Parallels?

9. bilbo--baggins macrumors 6502a

That still means they're expecting you to buy a licensed copy of Windows...

10. kittiyut macrumors regular

kittiyut

No, it will not work through Bootcamp/Parallels/VMware. You'll need
    to boot to a DOS prompt to execute the .exe file.

11. knome macrumors 6502

knome

I just ordered two new seagate 500gb drives. Wonder if i'll have the problem. Keep us apprised. Also How did you get in contact with seagate about the problem. Maybe a direct line or something?

12. Mr.PS macrumors 6502a

This is exactly why I went with the Samsung drives ove the Seagate drives. The problems and performance issues.

13. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

I have heard that many people have been having issues with the Samsung drives too. When I finally get my Mac Pro, I will install my two Hitachi Ultrastar 750GB drives.

They aren't quite as fast as the other drives, but I am more interested in reliability than speed.

Hickman

14. Mr.PS macrumors 6502a

Hundreds of people on Newegg reported the Samsung drives on Newegg to be DOA. But the issue was reality the Via and Nforce chipsets, not the drives. Samsung did numerous tests on the drives that were considered DOA and I believe they were all perfectly fine, it's a chipset issue. A bios issue should be able to solve it. I believe...

I order two of the 750GB Samsung Spinpoint drives. Too bad I have to send my Mac Pro back.

15. mrcandy macrumors regular

I have two of the 500GB Seagate 7200.11 w/32MB cache drives installed in my MP, with no problems. Model # ST3500320AS, Revision # SD04.

16. VanMan thread starter macrumors newbie

17. VanMan thread starter macrumors newbie

The hard drives still work but...

The drives still work with the deficient firmware but don't get the benefit of the 32MB of cache (or so I read on the Newegg forums).

18. Play4keeps macrumors regular

Seagate it seems is screwing up alot lately with bad firmware:(
    i used to like seagate but i just sold 4x500 aak drives:eek:

19. mrcandy macrumors regular

I thought they were also supposed to report the model number incorrectly? Which mine report correctly, so I wasn't concerned. Is there a way to check the amount of cache they have reported under OSX?

I've downloaded the firmware update, but about to head out of town so it will have to wait a couple of days before I can get around to installing it.

20. VanMan thread starter macrumors newbie

I wish I knew if there was a way to check the amount of cache it is reporting. I suspect there is but I don't know. The firmware updates are .exe or DOS for Windows only.

21. VanMan thread starter macrumors newbie

No help from Seagate

I've copied the official response, sounds like tough luck for you because you have a Mac:
    Dear Mark

Thank you for sending your Seagate E-mail inquiry.

Unfortunately in order to apply the firmware update on this drive you would need to find a PC to install this drive on and apply the firmware. Once this is done you should be able to take the drive to your MAC and run the drive as normal. We do not have a firmware update procedure for MACs.

If you have any additional questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alan TS49
    Senior Technical Support for Seagate/Maxtor

22. peejack macrumors 6502a

Tell him you dont have a f**king PC you have a Mac, and you will send it back to them and they can send you a correct firewire version, the cheeky f**kers :mad::mad: Thats what I will do if I get mine and it doesn't work. Honestly companies really know how to take the piss, they mess up and expect you to do all the running about.

23. peejack macrumors 6502a

24. VanMan thread starter macrumors newbie

They will work. The computer just doesn't see the 32 MB cache which means the drive doesn't work as quickly as it should.

25. Mr.PS macrumors 6502a

Get the Samsung drives. The Seagates are great drives but they seem to have issues right now. It's like the Ati 2600XT vs the 8800GT. The Ati has issues now, just go for the 8800GT and save yourself the head ache. The Spintpoints are just as much as the Seagates too.