Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melbie1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
Hi,

My Seagate HD crashed and burned suddenly without shock or being dropped in my 9 month old 13 inch MacBook. It spins for 3 seconds and then dies. Freezing it did not help. Data recovery will require clean room process, quoted at around $2500. Anyone have any suggestions for cheaper alternatives? or know of any class action suits forming?

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Hard drives fail, mostly without warning. My wife's MacBook's HDD did after three months. Her Dell desktop at work has had three HDD failures in the past two years.

If you didn't have a backup ... well, I'm sorry for you, but you've probably learned a hard lesson. I'm not sure if you're angry at Seagate or Apple, but hoping for a cut of a class action is misdirected anger.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Seagate has a 5-year warranty on most of their drives - I would investigate this option further. Otherwise, back-up back-up back-up. Crap happens, so protect yourself. Backing up your data is table stakes these for reasons exactly like this. I am sorry to hear about your problem, but it happens, and as long as you are smart and back-up your data, it really becomes a minor yet frustrating inconvenience. Just buy another drive (storage is so cheap these days), ensure it has a good warranty as do most Seagate drives and that's that.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
I had the exact same thing happen to me with my Seagate drive which was also the same age as the OP's. It wasn't the Apple supplied one, but a new one I bought to replace it. It was a 120GB Seagate Momentus.A few other people I know had the same thing happen with theirs as well.

Seagate refused point blank to replace them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.