Seagate Hybrid drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lukester, May 22, 2012.

1. lukester macrumors 6502

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Many people have had a lot of success with that. If you don't need all 750 GB, i would encourage you to look at a pure SSD as that will be many times faster.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It seems to be a solid enough, high quality drive. I've seen no complaints about this drive. Its faster then a traditional hard drive but slower then an SSD. The upside is a faster drive with lots of storage

4. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

My problem is that I need over 25o gig now for storage on my Mac. the 500 gig ssd is too much for me. the 750 gig with the boost in speed sounds like a good upgrade.

5. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

If you're going to get one, definitely get the 750GB one. It has an 8GB SSD cache, while the 500GB one only has 4GB.

What about getting a small SSD ~60GB and popping the HDD in your optibay? This will cost less in total and offer better performance.

6. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

How would that work, You use that for your boot partition?
    I like the DVD drive though..even though I have an external one too.

7. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

I have been reading the reviews on Amazon and many are saying the drive will not go into sleep mode and eating up their batteries big time???

8. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Basically, yes. Do a search for optibay to see how it works. Here are some threads that are tagged: http://forums.macrumors.com/tags.php?tag=optibay

9. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Do you actually need 250GB stored on your Mac? Can you not clean out what you don't need and then store data you need but not all the time on an external portable drive? This will get you better performance but perhaps offer better redundancy because if one drive fails, you won't lose all your data...

10. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess I could clean house.. I do have a couple of big back up drives. I do wedding photography and I prefer to keep my working files on my Mac and then back them up for the current year.

I am trying 8 gig memory first and see it that helps with some of my complaints.

11. robgendreau macrumors 68040

I dunno what operating system you are using, but Lion boots faster for me. You can streamline it by only having login items you absolutely need (BTW, anyone know of something that can group login items or how to selectively enable some and not others at boot like you could in classic?).

I've heard good things about the hybrid 750; in real world stuff it's pretty quick and seems to use that adaptive technology pretty well. Given the relative size discrepancy between HDs and SSDs it would seem that a smart drive that can choose which disk to use would ultimately be better than one or the other in real world operation.

But you do need the 750, as noted above, for reasons of speed not just size.

12. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

The second generation hybrid drives are great. I had a lot of problems with the first generation. Seagate was continuously issuing firmware updates for that drive and I'm not sure if all of the problems ever were resolved. My experience with Seagate customer service was very positive, so if you do have problems with the drive get in contact with one of the reps on the Seagate Forums and they'll help you out.

13. whdigital macrumors regular

I heard the latest firmware update solved all the earlier sleep problems...

This is the drive I will be replacing my internal 750/5400 with. I bought the MBP with that drive as a refurb saving a little money knowing that I would swap it right away with the Hybrid as I need more space that what I can do with the SSD (for my budget anyway!). I'm going to also by a twin to the factory drive and put them in a nice little external NAS enclosure to get use out of it. :)

14. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

No issues here... I'm using that drive right now and still get the same 6 hours battery life I got from the stock drive. Plus I always sleep my laptop.

15. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

I ran the 500 GB version in my 15" without any major problems. Biggest issue was updating firmware which was a bit different than on a PC. Finally bought an SSD and put the Seagate in my sons 13". It's running fine with no issues or further firmware updates.

16. BasilFawlty macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

I am currently running the 500GB version of the Seagate Momentus Hybrid. Same basic idea, just a little less storage and not as much SSD ram onboard. Bottom line: I love it! If I was going to do it today I'd go with that drive (It wasn't available when I upgraded).