Seagate Hybrid Hard Drive replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by punchdrunk55, Aug 19, 2011.

1. punchdrunk55 macrumors member

Looking to upgrade the hard drive in my macbook pro and noticed this guy on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Momen...32/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1313770272&sr=8-10

Look interesting and I was wondering if anyone had this drive in their MBP, and if the whole hybrid SSD thing actually worked.

If not what do you guys recommend, I have heard conflicting reports on the Scorpio Black being loud or not.

Thanks for the help

2. MrJolly macrumors member

MrJolly

Had one and it lasted about a week in my MBP. Great idea, and a lovely drive, in fact I am still using it but in my Mac Mini now. It was loud, it span constantly and it mullered my battery life.

If you can stretch to a SSD then go for it, if pennies are tight like a tiger then this will allow you to sample some of the speed of SSD but keep the warehouse storage of a standard drive.

3. punchdrunk55 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help
    Not a power user so I really don't need the speed all that bad, mostly just need space, ( I do DJ type stuff off of it and have a ton of music). I would rather go with a quiet hard drive that doesn't eat battery I guess then. I thought it was a nice idea but was a little suspect about it's actual functionality.

4. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

There are plenty of other threads in this forum regarding this drive. The reviews are definitely a mixed bag. I have one in my 2011 MBP and have no issues at all. It was in my 2008 MBP prior to transplanting it and worked like a charm in there as well. Mine is no louder or more of a battery drain than the other drives I have had in my MBP. Others have results like mine and love them and others have results like the first responder. I would recommend it to anyone, but then I have had a good experience.

5. Eradik macrumors regular

I bought one about a month ago. Not a single issue with it and LOVE it. While it's not as fast as a SSD and, if you can afford it, should go with an SSD, but for me I wanted a high capacity drive without a huge cost investment. The XT will get me by for a year or two until SSDs really come down in price.

I will agree that it does sometimes get loud and you can feel it a little bit (I've got a 15", I've read that if you have a 13" you can really feel it sometimes). Thats because its a 7200 rpm drive, so it's all normal.

As for battery life, I notice no difference. Sure it IS a faster drive so it will require more battery, but I notice no ill effects such as drastic drops or anything.

YMWV, since I have read a lot about horrible battery life and problems, but I have had zero and highly recommend. I think with the latest rounds of firmware they fixed most of the problems.

Get it! Worst case you can return if you don't like it! :D

6. tivoboy macrumors 68030

1tB scorpio blue

It seems that the 1TB scorpio blue is even faster, but in only a 5400 rpm drive. Make sure to checkout the reviews online. I'm thinking of going with that device instead of this one.

7. n8236 macrumors 65816

I <3 this drive. I just wish the higher capacity ones were out when I bought my 500 GB.

8. BLOCKMONSTER macrumors member

Id go with a Scorpio Black. Im doing dual Momentus XT in my MBP with Lion and I really dont notice anything yet but it has to learn what you access alot. So since im just clicking around Lion, its no benefit to me right now. Once my SL restore discs come by, im gonna see if its any benefit in SL. If not then im gonna get my tried and true Scorpio Black and put the Momentus inside external (thru fw).

9. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

To be honest, I love my Momentus XT drive, it's so much faster than the stock drive and the 7200 RPM Scorpio black HD that I had in my other laptop. Boot in OS X literally only took like 5 seconds.

But I've upgraded, it's in the Optibay now. Still really useful IMO! It stores the most used files on the SSD cache...

10. Superdrive macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

I had the Seagate Momentus 500GB standard in my black MacBook, so the XT version is a welcome upgrade for my 13" 2009 MBP. I picked the 500GB XT up from newegg.com. It has been installed and running in Lion for just a day or so and I already notice significantly improved boot times. The drive is not noticeably loud, however, I may just be used to the high RPM drive. I have not noticed major drops in battery from the increase in RPM, but as others have mentioned YMMV. Good luck.