Seagate Momentus 500GB 7200 Best Buy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iMetalG5, Jan 26, 2010.

1. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

How is this drive?
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Seagate...tops/9326428.p?id=1218085426687&skuId=9326428

my best friend just went to BB and bought this same drive (in different packaging) for $110. He claims its listed for $139 in the store but when he went to the register it rung up for $109! I see its listed online for $119. So if anyone wants one go get one at BB and see if it rings up for $109!!!!

Anyway I have another buddy that said he had this drive and claims it did not work out in his MBP 13. My brother wanted to get a SSD but decided not to. He rather have the GBs so this was the one he wanted to buy. I told him for $109 go get it ASAP before they figure out the pricing mistake. But not sure how good of a drive it is. I've heard both good and bad.

what do you think of the pricing? is it in error? what's the real price!?

2. djarsalan2006 macrumors regular

IDK about this drive, but i have the Blue Scorpio 500 GB and let me tell ya, its just great !

3. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Sounds like it was a mistake.

Habitus :apple:

4. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

There are plenty of Mobile 500Gb drives for under that price point anyways

5. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

Do people really buy computer parts from Best Buy? I used to work at Best Buy, got everything 5% over cost and STILL bought stuff from Newegg.com

6. iMetalG5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

only reason my bro is buying from BB is because he has a $150 gift card from xmas

7. iMetalG5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Best Buy funny

Best Buy sux. sorry. My brother and I went on a BB tour today. My bro has a gift card and he wanted to use it towards a Seagate Momentus 500 GB 7200 internal drive. So we went to the closest BB and it said they have 1 in stock but it was nowhere to be found. So we went to the next BB about 1/2hr away. It said it had 3 in stock. Again, nothing. The kid couldn't find them anywhere. Then we went to yet another BB that said it had 7 in stock. 1/2hr away. Got there and NOTHING.

This time I had to ask what is going on. The Geek Squad kid said there are 7 but he thinks they were pulled off the shelf. Ok so what! My bro wanted to buy one! The Geek Squad kid was more interested in selling him a WD 320 GB 7200 but my bro wanted the Seagate. Then this Geek Squad kid went on and on about how "we should not perform the install ourselves"...wow..."you will void the warranty of your nice MBP 13, I mean you spent some serious loot on it, why chance it?" his statement made me laugh out loud as he contradicted himself. Anyway another sales girl came up to us and said they do not have any in stock. I wanted to speak to a super...I told him we just came from 2 other stores that have it in inventory but they can not find them. I have a hard time believing the BB inventory is wrong. Guy said there is nothing he can do as they just do not have them in stock and the inventory system is wrong. Told me to order it online! WTF!?

One last BB to try and it was out of state. We got there and bingo 1 left on the shelf. Finally! The tag said $139 and I know online said $119. So we went up to the service desk to question the price and the young girl who just turned 21 I guess (she was yappin away about being hung over the night before) scanned the Seagate and she's like, "Its $99.99" ok, so my bro and i say nothing and she takes his gift card...he has $46.05 left on his card which he uses on a Blu-ray! I say win overall so far.

We just installed the Seagate into his MBP and its doing its thing right now. I'm curious to see if it has any problems.

8. quadG5guy macrumors member

Best Buy is overpriced garbage.

For $109 you can get the 640 GB drive from New Egg.

9. iMetalG5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i totally agree with u

10. iMetalG5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok, after installing the OS on the new drive we've been messing around with it.

definitely you can feel a slight vibration. Bro doesn't care.

also when we tried to back up using Time Machine his MBP 13 started to get REALLY HOT with fan on full blast. So we stopped it. I don't know about the heat issue...but after an hour we started using it again and the there was no heat issue with using iMovie, Photoshop CS4, iTunes, Safari (running utube), and Mail all going at the same time. We're going to try to back it up and see what happens. I found that really weird.

Yes you can see the speed increase of apps and start up for sure. But only time will tell if the thing is a FAIL. I worry about the heat issue. Slight vibration is fine I think. we shall see.