Seagate Momentus 500GB HD 5400 or 7200

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by machomer, Feb 22, 2009.

1. machomer macrumors regular

Which of these two drives would you recommend? I'm concerned about noise, but most importantly battery drain. There were some reviews on the 7200 being more quiet and about the same noise levels.

This would go into a MBP before the unibody, if it makes a difference.

Thanks

2. machomer thread starter macrumors regular

It would be going into a MBP that is 2 generation prior to the current MBPs. So it's a non-unibody with 4gb RAM. I get the beachball from time to time and I hear the fan kick in when running Fusion.

I'm do the following:
    WMWare Fusion running Vista (school requires it for Excel Solver)
    iMovie
    Normal Web browsing
    Music
    Movies

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Doing any of these things you aren't going to get great battery life anyways. I'd go for the 7200 knowing that you'll be using the wall adapter frequently.

4. Colin20 macrumors regular

heat?

Would installing the 7200 over the 5400 make the MBP run hotter?

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Probably, but hard drives generate a lot of heat in the first place. I wouldn't expect your lower arms to suddenly start burning as soon as you upgrade.

6. Colin20 macrumors regular

So it shouldn't really be anything to worry about or stop me for getting a 7200 over 5400?

7. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

get the 7200 rpm. I noticed huge difference between a system running a 4200 and a 5400 so I would expect it to be even more difference between a 5400 and 7200

8. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I have, I believe, the same gen MBP. It's not the same hard drive as the one you're talking about, but when I got it, I bought the 7200rpm drive upgrade. Totally worth it. Runs hot, but I have a laptop cooling pad most of the time, and the rest of the time, it seems fine.

9. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

In general, the 5400RPM will use less power and generate less heat and noise than a 7200RPM - this is why 5400RPM HD's are more common in laptops. 7200RPM really makes a difference if you're editing video or any HD intensive tasks. The tasks you've named are not bad. If you are going to be plugged into the wall adapter 90% of the time then sure go 7200RPM.

You probably know there are several versions of the Momentus so I'd take a look at the spec sheets for the one you're interested in to compare power requirements.

10. milesdavis macrumors regular

milesdavis

What about Battery life?

I'm considering this 7200.4 drive, but I haven't seen a clear idea from anyone [at least I haven't come across it via search] about how -much- the 7200 impacts battery life.

I have the early 2008 17' MBP.

I'd love the speed of the 7200 for video editing [does this make a big difference in imovie/final cut] and definitely the storage of 500gb.

I normally lean toward WD because I've had some bad luck with seagate.

Can anyone who has been using this drive in their MBP give me thoughts on the above? I greatly appreciate it!

- MD

11. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

I heard one guy said when he upgraded his hd from 5400 to 7200 it only took off ~10 minutes. I don't know where I saw that at.

12. milesdavis macrumors regular

milesdavis

Thanks for the reply. I've read both accounts, just a 10 minute loss, but also as much as 10% decline to 2x decline in battery when using a 5400rpm drive.

I wonder if anyone has tested this in practice? I'd love to know. There is a review on Toms, but it's from years ago and is based on 40GB capacity models.

Thanks all! MD

13. MSD401 macrumors 6502

MSD401

i have a seagate 320gb 7200rpm in the same generation MBP that I put in, in january, for nearly the same reason, vmware. Honestly, I havnt noticed anything over a 10 min loss, unless I do something that requires lots of hd access for long periods, but I usually try to limit that and kill bluetooth and lower the backlight to help out.. but I will trade the battery life for the speed, and space....
    personally ..I am thinking about an extra battery to help with all day use but then I think for a hundred bucks I can get a spare battery or for about 200 I could grab a netbook notes, email, browsing....but then I think wait I have my iphone...so I basically just think....end rant....

anyway..whatever you lose will most likely be a tradable for speed... again personally

14. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I have a momentus 7200.3 320gb in my MacBook. I noticed a temperature drop and a battery life increase over the WD 250gb 5400 drive I had in before. The palmrests vibrate a little more and its ever so slightly noiser.

15. milesdavis macrumors regular

milesdavis

Interesting. So many different reports.

So, will 7200 be a significant increase in performance with iMovie and Final Cut? Prob. not a huge deal with photoshop and illustrator, I would guess. How about moving around files?

Thanks! MD

ps. is the vibration totally out of control bad, or just slightly more? I think of bad vibration like driving in a uHaul ruck!

16. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I find things to be much quicker when working with large files. It vibrates less than an electric toothbrush but some people might find it annoying.

17. milesdavis macrumors regular

milesdavis

Interesting... I wonder if there is a way to 'dampen' the vibration? I remember reading someone recommending 'rubber bumpers?? does that even make sense?

I mostly use it with a BT keyboard and mouse, so unless I'm out and about, I guess the vibration won't be too bad. Does it vibrate onto the work surface? Is it that intense?

Also -- how hard it is to swap drives? What is the best method as far as cloning my current drive, do I have to reinstall OSX or just straight clone it?

Thanks!

18. Colin20 macrumors regular

What is the quietest 500gb 2.5" HDD for a macbook pro? I've read some bad reviews about the momentus. How is WD? I'm looking to get a 5400rpm because I want to minimize heat and vibration. Anybody use the Samsung? http://www.directdial.com/HM500LI.html

19. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

installed a 7200 in my uni MBP, along with 4 gigs of ram. Once, I had to swap the drives out momentarily, and with the 5400 it seemed like it took FOREVER to boot up.

20. Colin20 macrumors regular

How are vibrations and heat with the 7200? Also which model HD are you using?