Seagate Momentus Formatting

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Silverrune, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Silverrune macrumors regular

I have been pondering the idea of which hard drive to replace my old Macbook Pro (mid-2009)'s hard drive. So I went with the Seagate Momentus. I got it and was looking around and realized there was no way to format it. Do I need to buy an Adapter for it. Or do I need my install disk (which I do not have, but have a iMac Disk)? Can I just plug it in? :apple:

2. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

If you don't have the install disk how were you planning to install ?

3. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

I thought the same thing. I'm just surprised the OP bought a new HDD willy-nilly without thinking it through of what to do next.

You'll need an install disk of some sort to format it or some way of connecting it to your computer to get Disk Utility to format it.

then there's the question of how you plan on getting your data over. If you were planning on a Time Machine restore, you'd still need the install disc. If you just planned on cloning the drive, then you'd need a way to plug the drive into your computer without removing the original HDD.

4. Silverrune thread starter macrumors regular

I did think of what to do I just thought it would come with the cord... Guess I thought wrong but, I was planning on using Disk Utility. But would a iMac Install Disc Work?

5. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

iMac install disk won't work.
    I guess the best you can do is put the disk in an external enclosure and use CCC to clone everything. When you're done you can put the new disk in your MBP.

6. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn