Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shai-Nadir

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2005
I also had a hard time deciding which one to go with but I ultimately chose the scorpio because it was cheaper and it would be shipped from macsales. The scorpio in terms of heat and noise is no different than the stock 60gb 5400rpm seagate that came with the Macbook.

purelithium

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
Kingston, Canada
Shai-Nadir said:
I also had a hard time deciding which one to go with but I ultimately chose the scorpio because it was cheaper and it would be shipped from macsales. The scorpio in terms of heat and noise is no different than the stock 60gb 5400rpm seagate that came with the Macbook.

Your macbook came with a seagate? Mine had a 60gb 5400rpm Toshiba in it... hmmm...

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
SamIchi said:
Which one should I get for my MacBook?

I would say that depends upon how long you plan to keep your MacBook. Both are great brands, IMO. But Seagate offers a five year warranty versus WD's three years. A longer warranty doesn't necessarily indicate higher reliability. If you plan to keep your MB for more than three years, I'd say purchase the Seagate for the longer warranty term, otherwise save yourself a few bucks and get the WD.

purelithium said:
Your macbook came with a seagate? Mine had a 60gb 5400rpm Toshiba in it... hmmm...

Apple has contracts with multiple hard drive manufacturers, so no surprise there. My PowerBook has a Fujitsu hard drive.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
aquajet said:
I would say that depends upon how long you plan to keep your MacBook. Both are great brands, IMO. But Seagate offers a five year warranty versus WD's three years. A longer warranty doesn't necessarily indicate higher reliability. If you plan to keep your MB for more than three years, I'd say purchase the Seagate for the longer warranty term, otherwise save yourself a few bucks and get the WD.

That's what I was thinking. It's rare that I keep a computer longer then 3 years, so I guess I'll go with the WD.

qool

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2006
Alpha Centauri
I've been favoring WD for as long as I could remember, but for my new Black MB, I have the Seagate Momentus 100GB/7200 installed. Purely because of 5-year warranty and it was immediate delivery.

So far so good... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.