Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB 7200 rpm Solid State Hybrid?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Synergie, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Synergie macrumors 6502a

Will this drive work in my 2009 13" MBP??

What is a solid state hybrid? Is it any better than a normal HD? I know it's obviously not as good as an actual SSD but it also costs WAY less!

I was going to upgrade to a 1 TB hd for my MBP, but came across this and since everyone keeps suggesting SSD (which I can't afford) I thought I'd ask about it, ...and 500 GB would probably suffice...

2. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Yes it will work

Tangible difference and boot speed. Allocates things to a small built in SSD.

If you need more info than that, look at the seagate website.

3. Synergie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually I was looking for more info on compatibility with the MBP than on the drive itself. I did watch their videos on Seagate's website about the drive.

Unfortunately some Googling came up with issues people are having with this drive on MBP: The drive won't spin down, won't react to sleep / wake states properly, and the battery life of the MBP takes a huge hit... like 50% in some cases from what I have read.

Too bad... it was looking like good compromise between SSD and a regular 7200 rpm HD. I just can't (don't want) to take that hit on the battery life though! :(

4. cube macrumors G5

There were firmware updates to solve those problems.

Now, not everybody might have everything fixed.

Look in the Seagate forum.

5. Synergie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmmm I just looked again and the firmware its shipping with is up to SD26. I might go with this drive... its less than 100.00 and i found an enclosure for less than 10.00 so i can use carbon copy cloner.

So, I in theory should be able to connect the moments xt via the external enclosure, use carbon copy cloner to clone the internal HD and then just swap them out - and then boot up the MBP and it should work just fine without me having to do anything else?? And all my stuff would be there installed as it was on the other drive?

6. cube macrumors G5

I think some people have been downgrading SD26 to SD25.

You can clone the drive. That's what I did. No need to reinstall everything.

7. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

My XT performs beautifully with my 2010 MBP with SD25

8. Synergie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Are they shipping with SD25 or SD26? I have read both online... and when I search on Best Buy Canada or Future Shop (both stores have them locally in stock) it doesn't specify which firmware comes preinstalled.

9. BAC5.2 macrumors regular

Mine shipped with SD25. It's running fine right now.

10. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

I had the Momentus XT before I went for a SSD. I bought it when it was released.
    I received it with FW SD23, I was experiencing spin downs and the performance was not much better than a standard 7200rpm drive.
    Updating to SD24 resolved the spin down issues.
    Updating to SD25 brought a significant improvement of performance.
    The drive was running in my current MBP for about a month with SD25 without any issues.