Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB speeds

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbrown, Nov 12, 2012.

1. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

I was wondering if anyone can tell me what read/write speeds you should
    get from this drive?

Thanks

:)

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Nothing fantastic. If the price is right, get it. Otherwise, stick with a normal 7200 RPM drive.

Screen Shot 2012-11-12 at 11.30.39 AM.png

3. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

They are 7200 rpm drives :)

Or are you saying a standard 7200rpm drive will be faster?

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Without the hybrid flash. What i'm saying is I don't see the benefit from the flash storage.

5. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

As I understand it ( and I may well be wrong ) the Seagate Momentus XT are hybrid drives with 8 gig cache and 7200 rpm platter.

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

32MB Cache according to the spec sheet. From what I understand, there is 8GB of flash storage that is dedicated to loading the tasks you perform most often.

7. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

8. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

:) like I said, if the price is right go for it, but I don't see a huge benefit over a standard 7200 rpm drive.

9. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Thanks for the feedback - the price is £100 new

10. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Thats's about what I paid for mine USD, up to you :D. I'm sure you can find a non hybrid for around 100 USD.

11. duffer6 macrumors 6502

A traditional speedtest won't provide the insight into the speed gains with the XT. What you are seeing is the traditional HDD @7200 rpm speed being tested not the NAAD (8 GB). There is no way to test the NAAD since it is a backside cached to the HDD. Where you will really see the gains are will be during computer startup, shutdown, app launches and frequently opened documents, photos, etc. Very much like the new fusion drive put out by Apple.

All things being equal go with the XT if the price is right.

Hope this helps.

12. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Get an SSD. You'll never go back.

If you need the space, put in a drive in the optical bay or use an external.

Trust me, once you have at least a 256GB SSD, you'll be safe with using space.

13. duffer6 macrumors 6502

I couldn't agree more with the above. The true (purest) speed gain with be with a SATA 3 SSD. Cost is well worth it.

14. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

The new Samsung 840 PRO drives look so good.

I have the 830 and I would NEVER go back to a hard drive. SSD's are fairly affordable nowadays. (Sans Apple SSD's, they're still overpriced).

Would I want a 512GB SSD instead of a 256GB? Sure, but I've modified my space hogging with an external drive. I might move that external into the Optical bay, but I don't want to lose the battery performance.

P.S. "Black Friday" is right around the corner (if you're in the U.S.). You should be able to get great deals and not even wait in line (amazon, etc have online sales).

15. duffer6 macrumors 6502

Agreed once again. I gave my wife my MBP 17" (late 2011) which had the XT in it and I am now using the 15" rMBP and a pure SSD is they way to go. It is so fast that I forget how fast it is until I use my wife's computer with the XT which seems like it is stuck in neutral but in reality is still fast in its own right.

I can't wait until SSD's come down in price and 1tb will be the norm. I am doing fine with 256GB but I have to off load a ton of content to a external Thunderbolt drive.

16. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

The following is a thorough review of the XT and should give you an idea what to expect from benchmarking:

http://www.storagereview.com/seagate_momentus_xt_750gb_review

From experience I can tell you that the XT makes a significant difference in real world use. My wife's cMBP-13 boots in 12-14 seconds after installing one, and the software that she uses regularly loads virtually instantaneously. For that which is non-instantaneous: the ten years worth of family photos in her iPhoto library load in less than 2 seconds whereas on my cMBP-15 with stock 500GB HDD iPhoto takes just under 4 seconds to load with the 15 photos in my library. I'm putting one in my machine this week.

While it's true that a pure SSD will be faster all around, in practice, it would only be significantly faster on data that she doesn't use very often, but likes to have internally anyway, at well over 3x the cost of the XT based on her current usage (and she still has 300+GB worth of free space left). That wasn't worth it for us. We can wait until NAND flash prices drop further.