Seagate Momentus XT 750GB - Good Option

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dominicvivek06, May 23, 2012.

1. dominicvivek06 macrumors newbie

Apr 2, 2012

I am planning to buy Seagate Momentus XT 750GB. Is this compatible with MacBook Pro (Late 2011 15") ? If anyone has already installed, how is the performance ?

2. ayeying macrumors 601

Dec 5, 2007
    Yay Area, CA
    It works fine. Performance is in between a regular hard drive and a real SSD.
  3. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Mar 18, 2010
    It works well enough, make sure to get a 2nd gen one. The main issue I find is that since the cache is only 8GB, performance depends on your usage. If you use a bunch of office software and web browsers, you will see great performance from them, as well as fast OS startup speeds. But if you frequently play large games or use software like aperture or photoshop, you will not see any improvement in boot speeds, but those programs may run faster.
  4. simplydat macrumors member

Nov 12, 2010
  5. pragmatous macrumors 65816

May 23, 2012
    If I'm not mistaken all hard drives are compatible with the mac. It uses the same hardware PC's use so I cannot imagine why it wouldn't work.
  6. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

May 6, 2012
    Spaceball One
    Some get software issues (especially SSDs), different connectors, height issues, etc..
  7. pragmatous macrumors 65816

May 23, 2012
    I'm only aware of IDE, SATA, SAS, and SCSI connectors for internal hard disk drives. I highly doubt any macs beyond 2006 use SCSI especially laptops. I would agree with height issues and Trim support with SSD's however.

I've done extensive research on 3rd part hard drives on macs and I've not read anything in regards to software issues. going to buy my first mac book pro later this year.

8. Mal macrumors 603

Jan 6, 2002
    There's very few issues that are software related (and most come from people trying mistakenly to enable TRIM when other means can deal the problems more effectively). There is only one connector really right now (SATA) unless you're dealing with a MacBook Air, and the height of the drive is not a factor with any of the Unibody computers, plus most drives are 9.5mm or smaller now, so few have issues even with the older computers. Basically, you can pick up any drive you'll find on the shelf and use it with any MacBook Pro without significant worries, outside a few SSD's that do seem to have specific issues.

9. Dweez macrumors 65816

Jun 13, 2011
    Down by the river
    FWIW, I had an early Momentus XT 500 gig with 4 gig cache in a windows laptop and experienced no percieved improvement in performance over a generic 7200 rpm spindle.

I will suggest that if you are going through the effort of swapping he drive, swap in an SSD. Night and day difference, performance wise.
  10. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Jul 13, 2008
    Some of us need the extra storage...that 750 gb might be necessary. The second generation 750 drives have 8gb SLC. The reviews have been very positive; in real world stuff after it learns what you're using it compares pretty favorably with a MBA. And certainly a good value.

This seems like such an excellent idea I'm wondering why we don't see more of these.

11. cpto macrumors newbie

Dec 2, 2011
    New Jersey
    Two odd failures on a 750 XT

I have a 750 XT and it's had two failures. The first could be corrected. The second is waiting for a replacement.

The first failure was very odd - Apple support had no idea what was going on. The desktop Macintosh HD icon was showing more space available than the capacity of the disk, but disk utility showed the correct free space. Disk Utility reported no problems. I made a full backup, repartitioned, zeroed out the disk with the erase command, and reinstalled. The desktop indicator was back to normal (oddly, when booting from an external disk the indicator for the internal still showed the correct figures before I repartitioned it).

A couple of days ago I started having problems with file reads. Fortunately I had backed up the day before. Again, Disk Utility said everything was fine. I tried the erase again, writing zeros to see if there might be some bad blocks. About 3/4 of the way through the utility reported an unrecoverable error and unmounted the disk. It also deleted it from the sidebar. A second try had the same result.

I restarted and got a notice that there was an unrecognized disk attached and offered to reformat it. No idea what caused this since reparitioning didn't report any problems.

Under warranty so I paid the $9.95 for express shipment. Got email today that due to shortages Seagate couldn't ship on the promised 2-day delivery.

I really notice the slowdown now that I'm back to the original slower Mac HDD that came with the MacBook Pro.

When the XT worked it worked well, but two failures in 6 months--neither of which could be found by standard diagnostics--make me a little leery of using this drive in the future. Fortunately, I make full backups every week.

12. Dweez macrumors 65816

Jun 13, 2011
    Down by the river
    Roger that.
  13. roadragejason macrumors newbie

Jun 20, 2012
    Hard drive

Will one of these the Seagate Momentus XT 750GB work ok on mine i have a 2010 mac book pro intel i7 2.6 ,8gb 1067 ram,500 gb 7200 hard drive do are these seagate momentus drives sata 3 as apple have told me as mine is a 2010 mac book pro mine will only work with sata 2 i don't want to get one and cant use it any comment's would be great.