Seagate momentus xt and mountain lion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by apptel, Jun 22, 2012.

1. apptel macrumors newbie

Hi, now that the relase of mountain lion is coming im just wondering what way to do the upgrade. When i bought the hard drive i read that i should install lion from scratch because of the firmware on the drive. Cloning the old drive was not recomended.
    So, what do you think?
    Would the same apply to installing mountain lion? Do i need to make a recovery usb thumb and do a clean install? Or can i just do a normal upgrade in the mac appstore and everything considering the hybrid drive will be ok?

2. stisdal macrumors 6502

stisdal

Your choice really. Update from Lion will work just fine. I have a Momentus xt and ML runs great on it.

3. netslacker macrumors 6502

One of the key reasons for not doing a clone to the Momentus XT (when I installed mine) from Lion was because the clone omitted the recovery partition on the old drive. Now that you're up and running on Lion there's no reason to clone or start again, just do an in place upgrade of Mountain Lion. I would not bother installing from scratch again, I don't think there's any advantages other than house cleaning unused apps and data.

I'd just make sure you have a backup before any major upgrades.

4. V6Pony macrumors newbie

Do you have to have the recovery partition?

I have the xt hybrid drive on order should be here next week. I have a clone of my system now. I was going to use the clone and then upgrade to ML. Should I do a clean install of Lion on the XT and upgrade ML or use the clone and do a clean install of ML.

I have never done a clean install before. Anyone have any good instructions on how to do this?

5. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Why would you try to clone an old system onto a new one?

You can migrate from a clone however; that's usually the most efficient method and what Apple recommends. If you run into problems then you can reformat your boot drive and try other methods to install ML. "Clean installs" are usually not necessary and a remnant of the past.

Just make sure your backup has everything and that it works.

6. lchd2392 macrumors newbie

Is there any way to migrate from a clone that is on an external hard drive?
    I wanted to use SuperDuper! to clone my hard drive that is inside my MacBook Pro with OS X Lion and then install the Momentus XT. Ater that, I would clone the external bootable clone into the Momentus inside the MacBook and then upgrade to Mountain Lion.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Anything helps.
    Thanks