Seagate Momentus XT Formatting/Clone Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pspiegel, Sep 21, 2010.

1. pspiegel macrumors member

Just ordered a Momentus XT 500 GB to install in my current model 17 inch MBP. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this drive, and if there were any special tips along the way as far as installation/data migration goes?

I generally format my drives as Mac OS Extended (Journaled), is this drive OK with that as well? Do I need to do anything special in partitioning for the 4GB SSD portion?

Also, I saw some people had issues restoring from a clone of their old HD but they seemed to be older posts. Have people still had issues with this or is the recommended method install fresh OS and then transfer data over?

Thanks!!

2. dslade09 macrumors member

I would get an external hard drive and go to disk utility and copy over your Macintosh HD to your external and then clone it back to your new hard hard drive using disk utility on the OS X disk.

3. HighTopFade macrumors regular

HighTopFade

I just did my install last week. Download Carbon Copy Cloner, get one of those SATA to USB docks, and read the FAQ for CCC. Works flawlessly if you follow directions.

http://help.bombich.com/faqs

4. pspiegel thread starter macrumors member

This is what I was intending on doing but I had read in some older posts on here, that by cloning it can be cause the Seagate XT to run slower than when you do a fresh install.

Did either of you do this with the Seagate XT?

5. HighTopFade macrumors regular

HighTopFade

6. pspiegel thread starter macrumors member

Good to know, I am guessing you like the drive then :)

Has anyone noticed a performance drop when restoring from clone rather than fresh install? I keep seeing it pop up on the forums so I am a bit concerned.

7. HighTopFade macrumors regular

HighTopFade

It certainly doesn't feel slower. I say try it. If it seems slower, you can always format it and start from scratch.