Seagate Momentus XT in a 2011 13" MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by feeth, Feb 28, 2011.

1. feeth macrumors 6502

Has anyone done this yet?

I have had a XT in my 2010 13" MBP for the last month, no issues at all.

I'm giving my 2010 to my nephew and reinstalling the stock HD before I send it to him.

When I install the XT in my 2011 should I do a fresh install? I dont have any files, ect that I really need to carry over.

If I do a fresh install, should I use CCC to clone the HD in the 2011 then install the XT or just install the XT and put in the iOS disc?

TIA!

2. TheralSadurns macrumors 6502

Hey.

The Momentus XT will work in the new MBP. You will definitely have to do a clean install, though.
    The current Mac OS X 10.6.6 on your 'old' MBP is NOT the same build found on the new machines. Your current install simply lacks the drivers to support all the hardware. Would it still work... most likely. Would it cause a boat-load of problems... most definitely.

If you REALLY have nothing to lose, do a clean and fresh install with the Install Discs provided by the 2011 MBP.

If you HAVE something you wanna carry over, still do a clean install and then use the Migration Assistent to copy over your User / Applications / Documents / etc..

3. phinsup macrumors 6502

phinsup

It will work, but check some of the reviews. I ended up going with the WD Black Scorpion a few months back because the reviews on the seagates were bad. also the WD has a 5 year warranty vs the seagate 3 year. price was exactly the same.

4. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Simply moving the drive will NOT work--I've tried it. You do need to install OSX using the restore discs.

5. feeth thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks everyone! Will do a fresh install and them migrate anything over that is required.