Seagate Momentus XT+Lion GM?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by seong, Jul 16, 2011.

1. seong macrumors 65816

seong

Does anyone have Lion GM installed on Momentus XT? If yes, is it SD23, 24, 25, or 26? I want to see if it's the right time to get it, because people on seagate forums reported that Lion DP 3 and 4 worked quite well with Momentus XT when compared to Snow Leopard.

2. budman1961 macrumors regular

Im on SD25, and GM, no problems so far, I really didnt have any issues under SL either...

3. BFW122083 macrumors 6502

I am also on SD 25 using GM. No problems at all in the past 48 hours. I am really starting to get used to Lion and liking it a lot!

4. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Hm, this might just convince me to reinstall my Momentus XT (SD 26) in my MBP (early 2010, 2.66GHz Core2Duo, 8GB RAM, running 64-bit kernel).

I removed it after a couple months' trial, due to dismal battery life and oddities with hibernation. The replacement, a highly-regarded 7200 RPM Hitachi Travelstar, is okay but I get considerably more beachballs, and the battery life is better but still more severely impacted vs. the stock drive.

I'll be watching this thread closely for more details about stability, hibernation and battery life.

If good reports continue to come, then what I might do when Lion drops is back this drive up, swap the Momentus XT back in, restore, verify all's well, then do the Lion upgrade on that drive. That preserves my current drive and Snow Leopard setup...

5. damnyooneek macrumors 6502

using sd25 with a late 2009 mbp. works fine except it beeps every minute.

6. Daniel97 macrumors 6502a

not sure whether to buy the 500GB XT or save a bit more and buy an SSD

7. phobox macrumors member

Ive been wondering the same thing lately, whether to go for a XT now or save a little more and get a nice SSD. Im most interested in performance, being on a desktop machine Im not too bothered about power requirements. Is the XT worth its extra cost over normal drives in terms of performance?

8. seong, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2011

seong thread starter macrumors 65816

seong

It's good to hear that you guys are having no problem at all with Momentus XT and Lion GM.I'll keep you guys updated from Seagate forum.

I do not see 320GB SSD's price dropping down to $100 any day now. Probably couple of years later. Having said that, I'm trying to see if the official Lion release and 10.7.2 or 3 will not cause any major problems with Momentus XT, because it would be cheaper to buy the Momentus XT over SSDs. Plus, save that money to buy 8GB of RAM.

Personally, from what I hear on Seagate forum community and here, the new firmware update stabilizes the Momentus XT. You can see it on Youtube that Seagate Momentus XT is way more powerful than the traditional HDDs in every aspect, such as Photoshop rendering, game loading time, launching apps, booting time, etc. Since it's been a year that Momentus XT has been released, I'm hoping Seagate will update to SD 28 for better performance under Lion, or upgrade the drive itself to 8GB of flash memory.