Seagate Momentus XT OR Western Digital Scorpio Black

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DIMEZ, Jun 4, 2011.

1. DIMEZ macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

I was thinking about maxing out my laptop speed wise, specs below. I already have a Seagate Momentus 500gb and I was going to upgrade the ram to 8gb. I was wondering about buying a new hard drive the Seagate Momentus XT thats an ssd hybrid but has 500gb or just go with more room and get the Western Digital Scorpio Black. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

Well, what are you using it for? Do you need more space or a faster HD?
    I personally have the momentus XT and its a great mix of both for what I need, but I have a lot of external HD space to store stuff on.
    It all comes down to what you are using it for.

EDIT: Just re-read your post and if you really want to max it out "speed wise" then you should go for a SSD.

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

4. DIMEZ thread starter macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

I mostly use photoshop for work everyday. I also use logic and final cut. I have an external so I'm more concerned about the speed.

5. DIMEZ thread starter macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

I'm sorry my unibody is a late 2008 i should of mentioned that..vERTEX ONLY COMES WITH 120. With logic and final cut i would have maxed it out already

6. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

there was a thread about this. the XT will not as an SSD. it only stores programs that you frequently open so they open quicker. it determines which programs you use a lot and stores them in the ssd part. however there have been many ppl who have had problems with them. seagate updated the firmware but i dont know if it fixed it. i personally have a scorpio black and love it. its really fast and i upgraded to 8 gb of ram about 2 weeks after. the ram works wonders when i have a lot of stuff open but the hard drive opens quick. mine boots up in about 25 sec or so. itunes used to take 6 bounces on my old stock HD and has dropped to 2 on the scorpio. however go with 500 gb and on newegg because the difference from 320 gb is not much.

7. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Get a 240GB Vertex 2? But if you want mechanical get the 500GB XT

8. DIMEZ thread starter macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

thanks so much, I will do my research on everything you just said. I didnt know about the problems.

9. rex450se macrumors regular

I have the Momentus XT and love it. I did update the firmware on the drive before doing a fresh install of Snow Leopard and haven't had an issue yet. It boots up in about 20 seconds. Here is a quick video I just shot with my phone, so sorry for the quality and lighting. I don't have any experience with the Scorpio Black so all I can attest to is the XT which I would highly recommend.

Victor

http://youtu.be/Mczc5HXKbAM

10. mark28 macrumors 68000

If you want a hybrid drive, I'd personally wait. I read OZC is coming with hybrid drives too.

The momentus XT is bad on battery life from what I read?

11. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

i would personally go with the scorpio black for now, from what i read it is a quality drive, is quite reliable, and receives good reviews. while some or even many have had success with the momentus xt, i have heard a lot of negativity concerning this drive and would personally stay away from it in this case as the scorpio black will deal with your usage just fine.

12. Sgt93 macrumors 6502a

Sgt93

I researched this for quite a while before deciding to go with the WD Scorpio Black 750. I installed it a few days ago and partitioned 200GB of it for my Windows Partition. The drive is great and noticeably faster than the stock 250GB . I run Parallels 6, PS5, Aperture 3, HDR Pro etc and it is working fine. Been great so far. I did not want to step into the Momentus drama as there seems to be quite a bit of it. Happy hunting.

13. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

What version did you upgrade to, I just put one in my wifes macbook, and it was rev 23. There was a post on here about a week ago that someone had major issues with rev 26.
    TIA

14. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Some people just cant read....

I have a Momentus XT and havent had any problems with it since I got it. Works great for me, I got the 7200 RPM stock drive, Momentus XT and a Mercury Extreme Pro and they go in that order in speed too. Its not gonna make boot up any faster unless you are restarting constantly but it does make frequently used apps load faster. Personally I would save money and get a standard Momentus 7200 rpm drive...

15. rex450se macrumors regular

When I installed mine SD25 was the newest one out that I could download from Seagate's website. I haven't had any problems with mine at all.

Victor

16. DIMEZ thread starter macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

thanks for the video and advice. Still trying to decide.