Seagate Momentus XT Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sojha, Jul 1, 2012.

1. sojha macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I have a Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 32 MB Cache 2.5 Inch Solid State Hybrid Drive that's coming in the next few days to replace my original 120GB 5400RPM drive on a Mid-2007 MacBook. I've never done a fresh hard drive install before, so can someone tell me what exactly needs to be done? I'm not too interested in cloning my HDD using SuperDuper! or anything. I just want to fresh install Lion and drag-drop my files.

My question is- how do I even fresh-install Lion on a brand new HDD/SSD?

Thanks

2. MasterMacBook macrumors member

Insert the lion disc/USB with the OSX on it and boot onto that drive. I know for an optical disc you hold down "C".

Then follow on screen from there.

3. sojha thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, I don't have a Lion disk, because I downloaded it from the App Store. Any suggestions?

4. MasterMacBook macrumors member

Book a genius bar appointment and the genius will do it for you for free im pretty sure, just explain the situation I think :) unless you can somehow copy the lion OSX onto a USB by itself. Or CarbonCopyCloner does it all for you I think.

See what everybody else posts though, I don't know much to be honest.

5. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

-you may have to download lion again (you can do this with no charge as you have already bought before)...then after it downloads don't continue... read this "how to make a lion dvd"

http://mashable.com/2011/07/20/lion-clean-install-guide/

you could use carbon copy or superduper to clone your disk,but as your installing to new ssd it's best to do a clean install (also you may want to zero erase new disk first...as per my reading of installing osx to a ssd)...i know for myself...when i first installed a ssd to my macbook i just did a clone using carbon copy...it worked but at times i would get ssd lagg...so after some reading i did a zero erase and then clean install...no i have zero ssd lagg,and my macbook it unreal fast!

6. thebassmanmac macrumors newbie

Hi

I did the same install method a few months back.

The first thing you are going to need is a hard drive caddy, to format your new drive and then later to copy your old files.

I installed from my snow leopard disk and then re-downloaded Lion from the app store.

You can then copy all of your data from your old hard drive, via the usb caddy.

Took about 3 hours all in, depending on download speeds etc.

I bought a seagate momentus xt 500gb and notice a huge speed upgrade from my original 5400 disc, so your 750 should fly.

cheers

thebassmanmac

7. ELMI0001 macrumors 6502

ELMI0001

I also bought the 500 hybrid but I don't see the "huge" speed upgrade. I think a modest speed upgrade would be the best way to describe it.

8. cube macrumors G5

My account accumulated so much stuff since the cube times, that it is horribly slow to login with a standard hard disk.

Launching the frequently used applications is also very fast.

This is what most people look for in an SSD: boot, login, and launch.

----------

If you have Lion in the current drive, you can use Lion Recovery Disk Assistant (a download from Apple), to create a USB boot stick that can reinstall Lion (using the internet).

9. chrfr macrumors 603

Apple won't install 3rd party parts.

10. MasterMacBook macrumors member

Install the OS. Not the HDD.

But if you can access the Mac App Store then go from there, go from SL to Lion etc etc. People have addressed it above now.

11. kettlecorn macrumors 6502

Wasn't there a buttload of problems with the Momentus hard drives when it first came out? Has this issue been fixed with the hard drive locking and failures?