Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lionheartednyhc

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2009
Does anyone have any experiance with this drive, or any of the others in this family?

I bought one of these and put it in and it was making some strange noises I did not hear on my old drive (not clicking, or anything super alarming).

I figured it was faulty so I got a replacement (they accidently sent me two instead :mad:)

Anyways, both replacements made the exact same noise. Im wondering if this is normal...

I wish I could describe the noise, but I cant. Its this strange noise, almost like its spinning against something? I dunno.

chulsupark

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2009
Ithaca, NY
[re] Seagate Momenuts 500GB 5400 RPM problem.

Hi,

I have an MBP 13'' (2010) with seagate 5400 rpm 500G, Apple installed custom order. And I have noticed "whir" noise, quite noticeable in a quiet room, and distracting. Is this what you hear? Then, maybe it's a typical seagate idle noise, please see this post
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/673001/
I now think I should have kept stock Hitachi drive.

Hope this helps,
csp

cyclical

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2010
I've got a Momentus 5400.6 500GB without the G-Force (ST9500325AS). I've had it for about a week now and I haven't noticed any peculiar sounds coming from it thus far.

BroodRooster

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2006
Gent, Belgium
I also have that Momentus in my MBP 2010, its a stock drive, but i also have that annoying whooossound. First tought is was my fan. But when I took the backpanel of i noticed it was the focking harddrive. It drives me nuts in a quite environment.

chulsupark

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2009
Ithaca, NY
I've got a Momentus 5400.6 500GB without the G-Force (ST9500325AS). I've had it for about a week now and I haven't noticed any peculiar sounds coming from it thus far.

Then, maybe possibly something to do with G-force? Mine is ST9500325ASG.
I'm trying to search for a quiet drive, and stock Hitachi looks really quiet,
but the size is too small for me. So I looked at spec of Hitachi/500G and it says noise level is same as seagate momentus 5400, 500G ...
BTW, if I replace hard drive myself, will it void my warranty? (if I try to replace same seagare through Apple, I suspect that it may have the same acoustic noise).

lionheartednyhc

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2009
Then, maybe possibly something to do with G-force? Mine is ST9500325ASG.
I'm trying to search for a quiet drive, and stock Hitachi looks really quiet,
but the size is too small for me. So I looked at spec of Hitachi/500G and it says noise level is same as seagate momentus 5400, 500G ...
BTW, if I replace hard drive myself, will it void my warranty? (if I try to replace same seagare through Apple, I suspect that it may have the same acoustic noise).

I think it might be due to the g force protection.

No, HDD is a user-replaceable item (apple even gives instructions on how to do so in your manual). Super easy.

The hard drive that is in your computer, and the one that Apple will replace, does NOT have the g-force protection as the Sudden Motion Sensor is something that is built into your hard drive bay. DO NOT get a HDD that has shock protection if you are putting it in the stock hard drive location / bay.

chulsupark

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2009
Ithaca, NY
Hi, now I can see that you have "WD Scorpio Blue 500 GB". Is it quieter than seagate momentus? (I mean idle noise). Although, the spec
WDGWD5000BEVT
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Western Digital/WD5000BEVT/
reads noise level (idle) is same as seagate's, I guess that real life idle noise could be different?
If it is quieter I would want to replace my seagate (I paid Apple over $130 or more for this about 3 weeks ago, sigh) with WD myself, I don't think I can get refund from Apple ... but I really want to have a hard drive w/o this whoosh/whirl idle noise in my quiet room, very annoying.

I think it might be due to the g force protection.

No, HDD is a user-replaceable item (apple even gives instructions on how to do so in your manual). Super easy.

The hard drive that is in your computer, and the one that Apple will replace, does NOT have the g-force protection as the Sudden Motion Sensor is something that is built into your hard drive bay. DO NOT get a HDD that has shock protection if you are putting it in the stock hard drive location / bay.

dsprimal

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
I have the ST9500420ASG (Seagate Momentus 500GB 7200RPM) and it sounds like a fan in silent rooms. Now that the posts above clarified that it isn't the FAN that sounds like the faint vroom (glad i got that officially stated cause i thought it was the fan also before....but had a nudge that it was most likely the HDD) anyways, no prob, its normal (or so i hope :D)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.