Seagate Monumentous XT

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Maverick713, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Maverick713 macrumors 6502

I searched through other threads and while there are others regarding the XT in general, my specific question is with the newest or 2nd to newest firmware which I believe to be 26, but 25 is still downloadable are the users who have theis device still seeing the computer lockups? if not would you recommend this drive? I have a new MBP coming next week and and I am really considering this drive because the speed sounds awesome on the reboot. so if anyone can help me out that would be great.

Paul

2. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

(It's Momentus, not Monumentous.)

Firmware 25, last time I looked, was the most recent available for download. 26 was strictly for OEMs. Some posters have claimed 25 is better than 26 and even advocated downgrading.

My own experience is that the Momentus XT running SD25 is marvelous on Lion but not so hot in Snow Leopard. I recommend it highly for Lion.

3. treestar macrumors 6502

Monumentous is the UK name. jk don't ban me.

4. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

Hahaha, like "aluminium" right?

*referencing some old sophomore year bio film where no one could get over that guy's accent* xD

5. treestar macrumors 6502

accent? they actually spell it differently.

6. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

The English accent and the way he says aluminum (obviously nobody in my class had ever heard it pronounced "aluminium"). He really stressed that word, it was pretty noticeable lol.

7. Skinny Monkey macrumors newbie

I've used the 500Gb Momentus XT before. It does launch apps faster on 2nd run as its using its 4Gb flash. Sometimes I do get the beach ball, something like once every alternate day. I use my MBP everyday, mainly for PowerPoint persentations for work.

Now I'm using Intel SSD, so the Momentus XT was installed into an external case and used as a portable hdd. :)

8. tobe82 macrumors newbie

I've got a Momentus XT in my 2011 15" MBP and I'm very happy with it. I'd certainly recommend it if you can't afford to spring for a large SSD.

9. AlexMaximus macrumors 6502

AlexMaximus

Don't forget, - 900 bucks gets you to the Cayman Islands..

Same here. I have the Momentus XT in my MBP 17' i7 2010 for one full year now. Absolutely no problems what so ever with the Firmware SD23. Since everything works great, I did not see any reason to upgrade the Firmware so far. Very fast for booting up and every day tasks.
    The Intel SSD 320 with 600GB would be my preferred choice. However, compared to the 1000$ price tag, the Momentus XT with less then a tenth of the price is absolutely unbeatable! Great performance for a very good drive... And
    900 bucks in your pocket for a flight to the Cayman Islands !!

See you there!

10. Maverick713 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks all I just placed an order for one see how it goes, saved like 50 bucks on it on new egg. see how it goes and update the thread when it's all up and running.