Seagate rumble is still present in 27" refresh!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cbster, Aug 3, 2010.

1. cbster macrumors member

I just purchased a 27" core i5 standard config and the hard drive is rumbling constantly. Of course I have the Seagate 1tb. It is not very loud, but in a quiet room, it is extremely annoying.

Does anyone with a new i5 or i7 have the Western Digital hard drive?

I hate to return this one because my screen is PERFECT.

2. Tobster3 macrumors 6502

I'm interested to know how loud it is. Can you clarify?

3. cbster thread starter macrumors member

It is not very loud. If the ac is on, I cannot hear anything. If the tv is on, i cannot hear anything. But, as soon as the room is quiet, I can hear an almost constant rumble from the hard drive. Its as if the hard drive is getting pegged during a long data transfer, but i'm just idling on a web site.

I have a 2009 21.5" and it is dead silent. The 21.5" has a western digital hard drive.

4. Lakailb87 macrumors regular

I just had to send mine in because of this problem, it was extremely annoying. I also had the seagate in mime. Still waiting on replacement hope it doesn't have the same problem

5. max777 macrumors member

I got new i7 27" and it has the Western Digital. Is very quite-- can only faintly hear it under heavy use.

BUT- my screen is not perfect. 1 pixel out, very slight yellowing and white glow on bottom corners --> see other thread by CountlovE

Are you sure your screen is perfect? Would be very interested to know. Try setting background to 100% black

I would swap my setup for a perfect screen and noisy hard drive any day! ;)

6. cbster thread starter macrumors member

It is extremely annoying. Did you return it? or did you bring it in for repair?

7. GyroFX macrumors 6502

i can hear to "grumble" a little but it's no where as annoying as you guys make it sound. Maybe it's just me

8. Lakailb87 macrumors regular

I called AppleCare and the had me send it in today, said they would send me a new one as soon as they see mine was sent. She had me make an audio clip of the sound with GarageBand and she said it was not normal

9. cbster thread starter macrumors member

I have no dead pixels, no yellowing, and no gray banding. (I went through 3 previous model iMacs, so believe me when i say I know what i'm looking for in the screen.)

I do have light bleeding though. I can live with that. IMHO the light bleeding is a normal characteristic of lcd displays. My Sony XBR tv exhibits the same light bleeding.

10. cbster thread starter macrumors member

Did you buy it from the online store? Was it within the 14 days return window?

11. Lakailb87 macrumors regular

I bought it in a retail store which i thought it was weird they had me send it in. Yes I only had the iMac for about 4 or 5 days

12. max777 macrumors member

Interesting- thanks. Well sounds there is hope for me getting a screen that im happy with. Hope I get to keep the Western Digital tho. Good luck getting yours!

13. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I guess all those years of working in clubs/restaurants did me some good... all the iMacs I've seen have been quite:D

14. byron_hinson macrumors 6502

Mine on the new 27" is a noisy Seagate too - kind of grumbles in idle. But when opening an application like iPhoto it churns away as if it is doing a huge transfer which it isn't.

Thing is it works fine and I wouldn't want to return my iMac and end up with some other problems.

15. GyroFX macrumors 6502

16. Spy.be macrumors newbie

is it a 1TB or 2TB drive?

17. benji2227 macrumors newbie

So if I understood correctly, they are now also putting Western Digital 1Tb HD in the new iMacs. But not all of them :/

18. mjohnson1212 macrumors member

My 2010 i7 2TB shipped with a Hitachi drive and it's quiet.

19. Lakailb87 macrumors regular

Just got my replacement iMac 27" and it has a western digital in it. It is so much better than the seagate that was in my first one, super quiet. Also this one didn't have the backlight bleed like my first one had

20. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

Seagate ST31000528AS in my 1 day new 27" quad core i5. Just as noisy as modern Seagates have always been. I'm going to open this b!tch and replace it with a Western Digital for sure. Also going to throw in 2 Seagate Momentus 7200.3 320gb 2.5" drives and raid 0 them (one in optical bay, one in SSD space).

21. byron_hinson macrumors 6502

There isn't an actual fault with the Seagate's though is there? Just asking as I have one and yeah it is noisy as hell but I can live with it if it works perfectly. What is the best way to test it out?

22. Animgif macrumors newbie

My 27" i7 2.93 came with a Hitachi 2TB drive (HDS722020ALA330).

23. byron_hinson macrumors 6502

Silent or noisy?

Returning my new iMac tomorrow, just can't stand the noise after going from silent iMac's and Macbooks for years

24. Animgif macrumors newbie

Very silent.

25. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

Not a faulty drive. Just noisy read/write operation.

Western Digital drives are similarly noisy. I always adjust the AAM setting for quiet operation. If Seagate could allow you to adjust this setting, they could run just as silent if not silent enough.