Seagate SAS Drives

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mac2beach, Mar 7, 2008.

1. mac2beach macrumors newbie

Well just switch to macPro to find out I cant use my Seagate 15.5 146Gig SaS drive unless I want to not use my SATA drives? any workaround for this. I am not spending $800 on a MAC Raid card and not be able to use my 3 1000G WD Drives

Guess I need to sell these 2 15.5 SAS Drives?

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

If you buy the Apple RAID card, yes, your system must use ALL SAS drives. I'm not sure if there are any third party solutions that allow you to use SAS drives along with SATA drives, but I'm assuming not, since I believe all the connections on the backplane for the mounted HDs are connected and must all be the same.

3. contoursvt macrumors 6502a

Maybe you can buy buy an E-SATA controller and an enclosure like this one. Keep the SAS internally and your SATA externally.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2719712&CatId=2671

4. mac2beach thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, I looked at that.. but its just to much money $700 for the MAc Raid Card then another $150 or so for enclosures

I just going to sell these 15.5 Seagate sas drives, Guess they are worth about $150 each ?

5. OneArmedScissor macrumors member

do you have to have a mac raid card to run an SAS drive or can it run without the card?

6. Play4keeps macrumors regular

PM:If you are still gonna sell?