Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bereda

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
they a have a 36gb and 73gb 15k rpm drive and a 140gb 10k rpm drive that unfortunately is a scsi sas interface but im wondering if it would work with a scsi to sata connector...

bereda

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
if its 12 then maybe i can shave the botttom down on the savvio to 12 so it could fit, if it was possible how awesome would a 15k rpm drive be?

bereda

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
ummm no its not a joke if i was joking around why would i be asking if it was possible... ive shaved the bottome of a 3.5inch seagate down 2 mm to fit in to a case ive also shortened a drives length to fit... i own a machine mill

bugout

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
is everything!
Those drives are for servers..

lol.. give it a whirl and let us know how it turns out.

Or just get an SSD and get better performance without the headache.

bereda

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
haha yea i for gott about ssd's haha but they cost a ton but i might be able to fin one on ebay for not to much

fteoath64

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2008
The MBP has not got the voltage/amps to start these drives.Someone tested with the Raptor 300Gb 10K but it would not start on a laptop. Desktops are OK as the power supplies are rather beefy!. You probably can say bye-bye to those savvios..

Go for cheaper SSDs and stack a few together with a sata port multiplier board to get the speed you want. It is easier to "stack and solder" sometimes.

Chic0

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
UK
ummm no its not a joke if i was joking around why would i be asking if it was possible... ive shaved the bottome of a 3.5inch seagate down 2 mm to fit in to a case ive also shortened a drives length to fit... i own a machine mill

Fair enough. i just didnt realise that kind of thing would be possible.

Be interested to know how you get on with this this little mission

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.