Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tomb01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Colleyville, TX
Just received a new Seagate 2TB Backup Plus Slim drive yesterday. Plan to use it for sensitive customer data, so reformatted it for encryption, which went fine. When I copied some files to it and started accessing it, my late 2013 MBP crashed hard. Subsequently happened 2 more times. Have some meetings this morning, so can't follow up with Seagate initially, but was wondering if anyone had any similar issues, or if this is just a bad drive. Have a second one, which I had not setup yet, and will see if it is the same later today....

Any experiences, good or bad?

Tomb01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Colleyville, TX
So, could not replicate the crash behavior on my wifes Macbook Air... Decided to uninstall the Seagate tools that came with the drive. So far, no more crashes.

wrx09md

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2013
I never use supplied software with externals for this reason and a few others. They are a pain also.

ZVH

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2012
Third party drivers seem to be more trouble than they're worth. There's a thread on here (and just about everywhere) about some of WD's backup software actually erasing all the data on backup drives when Mavericks came out.

My policy on external drives is that if it can't run without drivers, then it won't be running on my system.

Marty62

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
Berlin formerly London
Third party drivers seem to be more trouble than they're worth. There's a thread on here (and just about everywhere) about some of WD's backup software actually erasing all the data on backup drives when Mavericks came out.

My policy on external drives is that if it can't run without drivers, then it won't be running on my system.

MASSIVE Plus 1 on this !!
Don't EVER use supplied drive software from Lacie /WD or anywhere else.

Erase, reformat from your Mac and carry on :)

M.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.