Seagate thunderbolt boot

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Flunkyturtle, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Flunkyturtle macrumors 6502

Have an iMac 2011 and didn't have an ssd installed, i can get this done for about £100 quid but it then voids my warranty.

So i've thought bout getting one of the seagate thunderbolt enclosures as theoretically it should give the same boot time/response as if it was internal.

(anyone disagree?)

My question is, whether its worth paying another £70!! just to have this version on my desktop, i can see myself using thunderbolt in the future so it would future proof myself for further TB devices.

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/H...x-thunderbolt-adapter-for-desktop-hard-drives

or i can go with the "cheap" version for £100 and not be future proof, thoughts?

2. johnrtaylor macrumors newbie

I have an imac I7 mid 2011 and I have added a Goflex thunderbolt with a Samsung 830 128gb SSD, I also bought a goflex disk enclosure from ebay, to house the ssd.

Whilst you don't get the full SataIII speeds you do get write speeds of 307.4MB/s and read speeds of 358.3MB/s, which is somewhere between SataII and SataIII. (Blackmagic Test)

I have installed Lion and all Apps on the ssd, leaving the data on the inbuilt 2tb HD. Boot times and application load times are now lightning fast. It feels like a new machine and if anything goes wrong with the SSD it is easy to replace.

Cost was £89 for the Goflex thunderbolt adaptor, £85 for the Samsung 830 128gb, £39 for the thunderbolt cable and £5.88 for the seagate golflex hd enclosure. Total £218.88.

3. Flunkyturtle thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats exactly what i needed to know much appreciated! dont suppose you have a boot time? i think mine is like a minute at the moment. Hoping to get it under 30 seconds from the beep :)

4. johnrtaylor macrumors newbie

Boot time is just a shade under 30 seconds from the time I press the power button to having a usuable system and that includes typing in the logon password!!, so it is very quick. It takes around a second to load itunes, this was very slow when the itunes app was on the internal drive.

5. Flunkyturtle thread starter macrumors 6502

Could you also link me to the HD enclosure? i cant find the right one on ebay. thanks!

6. Flunkyturtle thread starter macrumors 6502

7. johnrtaylor, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012

johnrtaylor macrumors newbie

8. Flunkyturtle thread starter macrumors 6502

9. johnrtaylor macrumors newbie

I just used a bit of velcro to attach it to the back leg of the imac, saves money and is effective and can't be seen.

10. Flunkyturtle thread starter macrumors 6502

not a bad idea :p

Its never going to be seen anyway