Seagate thunderbolt boot

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Flunkyturtle, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Flunkyturtle
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

Have an iMac 2011 and didn't have an ssd installed, i can get this done for about £100 quid but it then voids my warranty.

So i've thought bout getting one of the seagate thunderbolt enclosures as theoretically it should give the same boot time/response as if it was internal.

(anyone disagree?)

My question is, whether its worth paying another £70!! just to have this version on my desktop, i can see myself using thunderbolt in the future so it would future proof myself for further TB devices.

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/H...x-thunderbolt-adapter-for-desktop-hard-drives

or i can go with the "cheap" version for £100 and not be future proof, thoughts?

2. johnrtaylor
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

I have an imac I7 mid 2011 and I have added a Goflex thunderbolt with a Samsung 830 128gb SSD, I also bought a goflex disk enclosure from ebay, to house the ssd.

Whilst you don't get the full SataIII speeds you do get write speeds of 307.4MB/s and read speeds of 358.3MB/s, which is somewhere between SataII and SataIII. (Blackmagic Test)

I have installed Lion and all Apps on the ssd, leaving the data on the inbuilt 2tb HD. Boot times and application load times are now lightning fast. It feels like a new machine and if anything goes wrong with the SSD it is easy to replace.

Cost was £89 for the Goflex thunderbolt adaptor, £85 for the Samsung 830 128gb, £39 for the thunderbolt cable and £5.88 for the seagate golflex hd enclosure. Total £218.88.

3. Flunkyturtle
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats exactly what i needed to know much appreciated! dont suppose you have a boot time? i think mine is like a minute at the moment. Hoping to get it under 30 seconds from the beep :)

4. johnrtaylor
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

Boot time is just a shade under 30 seconds from the time I press the power button to having a usuable system and that includes typing in the logon password!!, so it is very quick. It takes around a second to load itunes, this was very slow when the itunes app was on the internal drive.

5. Flunkyturtle
    Expand Collapse

Could you also link me to the HD enclosure? i cant find the right one on ebay. thanks!

6. Flunkyturtle
    Expand Collapse

7. johnrtaylor, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012

johnrtaylor
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

8. Flunkyturtle
    Expand Collapse

9. johnrtaylor
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

I just used a bit of velcro to attach it to the back leg of the imac, saves money and is effective and can't be seen.

10. Flunkyturtle
    Expand Collapse

not a bad idea :p

Its never going to be seen anyway