Seagate usb drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rcdeacon, Jul 17, 2009.

1. rcdeacon macrumors newbie

rcdeacon

Both my wife and I are new to the Mac world. We both have MacBooks and I am having trouble with a Seagate Free Agent Go. When accessing the usb drive in Mac I can read the data but cannot write back on to the drive. Is there something I need to know. The usb drive has been used on a pc for quite some time and works flawlessly. We are trying to migrate to the MacBook and we need to be able to read and write to this usb drive. Can anyone shed any light on the situation?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. Zode135 macrumors newbie

Ya, sounds like it is not formatted for mac. You can use Disk Utility to format it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) which is what osx uses.

4. rcdeacon thread starter macrumors newbie

rcdeacon

Thank you very much for the help. Obviously there is no way to keep the data if it has to be reformatted and once reformatted it will not be interchangeable from pc to mac. I'm not sure what I will have to do since the data is basically digital embroidery files that are used with a program called Embird. We have to run Embird in xp (with Fusion) but was hoping we could switch back and forth between pc and mac for a while until everything evens out. At any rate, thanks again.

5. wfoster macrumors 6502a

wfoster

You don't need to format it, r.j.s gave you a link in a post above on what to do.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You don't need to format it if you use NTFS-3G in my post.

7. rcdeacon thread starter macrumors newbie

rcdeacon

r.j.s., I just installed from the link you sent and it works flawlessly! You saved the day! We are now able to interchange information on this hard drive between the pc and the mac. Thanks again!