Seagate USB External HD Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sandiman, Jan 28, 2009.

1. sandiman macrumors newbie

Hi I have a Seagate Free Agent 150GB External HD that connects to my Ibook G4 through the two USB ports it has. So wanting to be able to listen to music from my External HD and be able to upload music from the External HD to my Ipods, I got a USB port hub. However, when I plug the USB Hub into the usb ports and plug the External HD into the port, it doesn't read it. I was just wondering if this is an issue with the Seagate HDs or is it my USB Hub, or if their are any other options? Thanks.

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

Is your hub powered? If you need to plug in both USB ports, I'm assuming you're running the external off of bus power. So you would either need a powered USB hub, or you would need to purchase an AC adapter for your external drive.

3. sandiman thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe the hub is powered, because when i plug in the Ex HD it lights up like when you plug it directly into the USB ports on the side of the Ibook. I'm hoping there is a temporary fix, bc I am saving up for a Time Capsule.

4. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

By powered, he means, does your USB hub have a power adapter you plug into the wall? If not then it is relying solely on your iBooks power our of a single USB port and thus doesn't provide enough power for the drive.

5. sandiman thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok that makes way more sense. Thanks for the help guys.

6. meisyong macrumors newbie

hi can i check if your seagate free agent you bought is specific for mac or the general one?