Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derlockere

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Hi Folks!

I face the following decision: Getting a 2011 MBP this Friday with the Hitachi HTS725050A9A362 500 GB 7200RPM drive.

Currently I have a Mid 2009 MBP with the Seagate ST9500420ASG 500 GB 7200RPM drive.

The Seagate drive has no issues so far and it has a built in sudden motion sensor.

I'm not sure if I should flip the Seagate in den 2011 MBP (the 2009er wil go to a colleague). In June I also want to upgrade the system drive to a SSD and put the 500GB drive into an optibay. Will the MBP built in sudden motion sensor work for the optibay drive as well? If not, it would be better to keep the Seagate in order to have a sudden motion protection of the drive in the optibay, right?

Your comments on the two drives would be helpful!

Macsavvytech

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2010
I am fairly certain that is a + (positive)
Anyway its not hitachi anymore its WD, Hitachi got taken over by WD.
And to winers i know it was still made by Hitachi and they wont instantly be under control by WD, BUT you get what i am saying! ^^

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Unless you are getting a SATA III SSD why not leave the HD where it is and put the SSD in the optibay? No worries about SMS and the SSD will work just as well and just as fast in the optibay.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
I had a Hitachi TravelStar in my old MBP for over a year and it was superb. I now use Samsung 640GB 7200rpm drive in my new one, and it is superb as well.

derlockere

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Unless you are getting a SATA III SSD why not leave the HD where it is and put the SSD in the optibay? No worries about SMS and the SSD will work just as well and just as fast in the optibay.

Want to get a Vertex 3 (if the firmware is not the same disaster as with the Vertex 2) --> I will need the SATA III speed....

Thanks for your thoughts. Gonna check which HD is actually in the (hopefully tomorrow) delivered MBP and then decide.

So far only positive feedback regarding Hitachi and WD came in here, is Seagate really that bad!?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.