Seagate VS. Hitachi

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ohaooa, Mar 27, 2009.

1. ohaooa macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I was just wondering about this. Two of my friends both purchased a 15" 2.8 Ghz UMBP. They are both equipped with the 7200 rpm HDD's. One of them is a Hitachi while the other is a Seagate. My question is, which one is better? Is there a difference?

Thanks!

2. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

The 7200 RPM Seagate's are traditionally fast then other drives. Ive also had a few Seagate hard drivers and never had a problem with them so I tend to feel they are a little better then other drivers.

3. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i am a big fan of Seagate. if you are thinking of getting one or the other make sure you get Seagate.

4. capriseyhaze macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

im installing os x right now on a seagate 7200. So when its done ill let you know how it works out

5. golfhero macrumors member

Another vote here for Seagate. Never had a problem and the new 500gb 7200 is awesome.

6. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

I vote Hitachi, Seagate's are fast but they seem to be the loudest of any mobile drives i have ever used.

7. ohaooa thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your helpful input guys, this forum is by far the best I have ever been a part of!

8. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

My brother has called the Hitachi deskstar by deathstar--meaning it's unreliable. I don't know if Seagate is that much better, but some of their drives have 5 year warranties. That's what I plan on buying for my drobo.

9. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Both drives vendors are good. However Hitachi has been superior to Seagate when it comes to 7200RPM notebook HDD speeds. They're slightly faster and i havent heard/read too many complaints

10. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Hitachi all the way.

I have an expensive G-Tech drive and inside is a Hitachi. Its quiet and fast

I had a Mac Pro with a 320GB Seagate, it was SLOW and sluggish. I got a new Mac Pro and its got a Western Digital 320. It felt faster and verified this in an XBench test. It was faster by 20-25%

11. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

Thats not true. Seagate has the upper hand in 7200 RPM notebook drive performance.

12. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I also have a G-technology drive with a Hitachi inside that has been excellent. My previous and current MacBook Pro's have both had Hitachi drives inside, which have been quiet, smooth, and reliable, although not the fastest by any means. I have also used Seagate drives in the past and have found them to be good drives as well, but not nearly as quiet nor as smooth as the Hitachi drives I have used recently. I haven't tried the new Seagate drive but after reading recent reviews my thoughts are that while faster, the Seagate drives is probably less comfortable to use.

13. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

hey Bill, never thought I'd see the day you'd use a Mac. A MBP 15 no less :p you must have lost a bet with steve :D

14. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

I'm loving my WD 500gig Scorpio Blue in my MBP. It's quiet, cool and almost as fast as a 7200rpm WD 320gig Scorpio Black in many tests. It beats almost all 5400 rpm drives with ease, and is a two-platter drive which helps it with speed compared to the Hitachi (former IBM drives...) and Samsung 500gig drives, which are three-platter drives.

I considered looking for the Seagate momentus 7200rpm 500gig drive, but they're hard to find, cost about $50 more than my WD500, and don't have as good a buyer rating at Newegg.com. That's what convinced me in the end, and I've been pleasantly surprised that it's better than I even expected. If you don't absolutely need 7200 rpm, compare any drive you're considering with this one, too.

15. macbuzztv macrumors newbie

What tests did you run?

HI there,

I also have the same WD 500 drive. and was considering getting the new seagate 7200. have you seen any test results of these 2 drives performance??

thanks!

Derrick