Seagate vs. WD vs. bare HDD + enclosure?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by davidg4781, May 13, 2011.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I'm looking to upgrade my 250GB HDD in my MacBook to something bigger. My external hard drive I was using is out of state (long story), plus I'd like a larger backup drive.

Any suggestions as to brand? I like the flex series of Seagate so that in the future I can get a Thunderbolt connection if needed.

Of course, price will be an issue too, but I'm just looking for suggestions.

If I do decide to "make" my own with an HDD and enclosure, a suggestion on an enclosure would be great. I want something inexpensive but that looks nice and could possibly use Thunderbolt, FW, and/or USB.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Buy whatever is cheap and comes with good warranty (+3 years). Seagate Flex might be a good choice if you think about TB in the future.

3. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ok, this may sound like a dumb question, but the Seagate GoFlex for Mac comes with a FireWire 800 adaptor.

My MacBook has a FireWire 400 port. Will that work without any problems or will I need an adaptor?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You need an adapter but there is no need to get a Mac version. The PC version will work fine, although it lacks FireWire.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10301&cs_id=1030105&p_id=3542&seq=1&format=2

5. cube macrumors G5

You can get a nice quad interface enclosure today (FW800+FW400+USB+eSATA).

You could just replace it with a penta interface enclosure if they become available.

No need for proprietary adapters then. And you can choose any disk of that size that you want (eg: the Momentus XT, assuming the case is 2.5").