Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I'm very sad to hear about this loss of life. My prayers go out to her family and friends. It just gives us a reminder of just how dangerous it is explor. Wild animals are always unpredictable! :(

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2002
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
And what's with the attempt at philosophy?;) I think I understand what you're getting at - but its sort of like quantum physics and Schrodingers Cat in a box experiment...

D

Never mind what I said, I was tired (Clunes work) and not really thinking.

I might edit it or delete it to something that makes sense, I'm not sure why I posted that.

ScaredAmoeba

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2007
Whoa. That's pretty freaky. I wonder what she did to make the seal mad, or if the seal just went off. Maybe the purple polar bear can eat that mean old seal for dinner!

I'm not sure if you were joking, but I will assume you were not.

Polar bears inhabit the Arctic, not the Antarctic.

Leopard Seals are one of the top predators in the Antarctic. It was probably hunting her, prior to the attack.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Watching the Discovery channel, I've seen those Leopard seals and they're pretty agile for their large size. They primarily hang around the icepacks, ambushing emperor penguins that are returning or leaving. While inquisitive, I'd never get in the water with one.

ScaredAmoeba

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2007
She was probably mistaken for a seal

A marine biologist at the British Antarctic Survey has been killed by a seal, the first death of a BAS scientist on the icebound continent in 21 years, the organization said on Wednesday.
It said 28-year-old Kirsty Margot Brown was snorkeling near the BAS base at Rothera on the Antarctic Peninsular on Tuesday as part of her research into the effects of icebergs on inshore marine life when the leopard seal attacked and dragged her down.
http://channels.netscape.com/ns/new...PLS&idq=/ff/story/0002/20030723/102021350.htm

Leopard seals are predators, eating a wide range of prey including penguins, crabeater, Weddell and fur seals.

It seems not too much of an assumption that this scientist was wearing a dry-suit, because of the cold. Perhaps the dry-suit was dark, red or even black.

Can Leopard seals see colour?
They can dive for ~ 15 minutes but do not dive deep - where light levels are low.

Since they live in the polar seas they have to hunt in the dark / low light during the polar winter, they may have monochrome vision.

If they have limited colour perception, it will probably biased towards the blue / green portion of the spectrum, because of differential spectral absorption by seawater. If they have blue / green vision, a red dry-suit would appear dark grey or black.

Perhaps she was mistaken for a seal? Probably she was attacked from behind.

Not a nice way to go!

My condolences to her friends, colleagues and family. Not that they are likely to read this.

Re Tame Penguins and humans
There are no predators on the ice in the Antarctic.
In the Antarctic, the danger is in the water!

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
Impressive thread resurrection especially considering that this is your first post. The OP's from 2003. :confused:

Hey, this might be old news but you never can tell when a killer seal might take a bite out of your ass. Better the public is kept informed.

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
Humans are an incredibly fragile species when taken out of their element. I'm surprised we see as few accidents as we do when we're interacting with wildlife in such unfamiliar surroundings. Chalk one up to solid planning and other animals' instinctive fear of the unknown.

My heart goes out to her family, even if this is very old news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.