Sealed iPad 1 - Apple Store Credit?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Boomer85, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Boomer85 macrumors member

I won a iPad (1st gen) at work (raffle) and wondered if Apple would give me store credit toward a 2nd gen let's say? I know perhaps not until supply catches up. But, have any of you seen this panning out?

It's sealed in the box...even sealed in the shipping box...and wouldn't make sense for me since I already have a 1st gen.

Any thoughts?

2. deathcab4xtina macrumors regular

Doubt it, but you could try eBay.

3. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Did the raffler's include a gift receipt? If not, you could ask them for it.

We did a raffle of the iPad2 here at work and they included the gift receipt for it.

4. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

Apple Sales and Refund Policy

I'm pretty sure Apple has no need for 1st generation iPads either. The EBay suggestion is valid or you can gift it to someone you love. You didn't mention the specs but I imagine if it was raffle, it's likely a 16GB Wi-Fi model.

Apple Sales and Refund Policy (Online Apple Store)
    If the item is returnable and you send it back to us unopened in the original box, Apple will offer you a refund based on your original method of payment. You must return the product to the Apple warehouse within 14 calendar days of the issuance of the RMA. All products must be packed in the original, unmarked packaging including any accessories, manuals, documentation, and registration that shipped with the product.​

Apple Retail Store Purchase Policies
    For iPhone returns, please refer to the iPhone Sales Policy section below. For all other products, if you are not satisfied with your Apple purchase, return it with the original receipt and original packaging within fourteen (14) calendar days of the date of purchase. If the item is returned unopened, in the original box, we will exchange it or offer a refund based only on the original payment method. Apple will mail a check within ten (10) business days for cash, cash equivalent, and check transactions over $250.​

5. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

You should go over there and explain it was a raffle sometimes the managers will bend the rules especially if you say you want store credit to buy the iPad 2 plus a smart cover possibly.

6. ricciardella macrumors newbie

I have the same situation. Just received a 64GB wi-fi iPad 1 as a company gift. I called the local Apple store and explained the situation. They told me that if it is not opened, they will credit the current selling price ($599 as of last Friday) towards an iPad 2. However, they do not have any iPad 2s in stock.

7. aserafin macrumors member

Good to know. Won a 16gb 3G three days after I got a ipad2. Did they give a store credit good for anything or was it specific for an iPad? Would love to put it towards a new iMac (when they come out) or mbp. Don't have a gift receipt but it's still in plastic.

8. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Sell it in eBay

9. Boomer85 thread starter macrumors member

Your post gave me hope, but I just called my local Apple Store and they said the only option I'd have is their "buy-back" program...however, it's not offered for the iPad...only Macs.

I really don't want to take my chances with eBay...this is such a bummer since it's a sealed item...I'd love to be able to use it as credit toward an iPad 2.

10. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

It seems your best option would be to list on craigslist. I am fairly confident you can get atleast 300 for it.

11. Gjeepguy macrumors regular

I would go up to the store and say you recieved it as a gift and you want to pay the additional money to upgrade to the iPad 2. They will probably take the return. I wouldnt rely on what the person on the phone said.

12. Boomer85 thread starter macrumors member

I called the main Apple # (1-800)...they said they can't offer any credit since you would have to be able to produce a receipt for it. It's like they want proof that it's not "hot" or something.

Unfortunate though...

13. jbiz macrumors member

maybe you can try a store and see if they can pull the reciept via the serial #?

14. ricciardella macrumors newbie

I took my unopened iPad 1 to the Apple store today and they exchanged it for an iPad 2. They asked for a receipt but I told them I didn't have one because it was a gift. No problem. They credited the current value of my iPad 1 towards an iPad2. They only had 3G models in stock so that is what I now have.

You should take yours to the Apple store and simply tell them that you want to return it and get something else.

15. triplecore1 macrumors member

Most places I have dealt with Best Buy, Circuit City (Now Dead), Macy's, Nords, etc will give you store credit for anything that is unopened with no receipt, based on the current selling price.

16. Blacklabel34 macrumors 6502

What did you expect by calling the 1-800 number? Go to the Apple store. Ask to speak to the manager and explain the situation (very politely). I bet 9 out of 10 they will do it since you want to purchase a more expensive item. You won't know until you try but I wouldn't listen to a word some rep sitting behind a phone told you.

17. joshi3joshi macrumors regular

how did so many people win ipads lol. theres like 3 posts that say "yea i just won an ipad the other day" haha