Sealed iPhone 5 64GB comes with what OS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BlueMoonForever, Oct 10, 2014.

1. BlueMoonForever macrumors 6502

First, how much would you guys spend on a sealed iPhone 5 black 64GB version? Its a birthday present for my mom. Next, which OS would it have preinstalled? iOS 7, or 8. I ask because she has read that 8 isn't that great on older devices and hopes it has iOS 7 on it preinstalled. Thanks

2. Andropov macrumors regular

Andropov

iOS 6. The iPhone 5 (not C) was dropped when the iPhone 5S and iOS 7 came out, so as long as it's sealed it will come with iOS 6 preinstalled.

You/her should update to iOS 8 though IMHO, if not now at least when iOS 8.1 is available. An iPhone 5 is not considered an "old" device, iPhone 4S/iPad 2 are.

3. dcharleyultra macrumors 6502

If it's new, I would think iOS 6. iOS 7 came pre-installed on the 5s, iOS 8 on the 6/6 Plus.

4. BlueMoonForever thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't even think of that. Would it be possible for her to use 6 if she prefers that? Do apps even work with it anymore?

5. ifanme macrumors regular

ifanme

IOS6 Pre-installed. One of my friend bought in recent times which came with IOS 6.

6. BlueMoonForever thread starter macrumors 6502

So you guys are saying that any iphone 5 that left the factory did not ship with version 7.X?

7. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Correct. When iOS 7 was released, the iPhone 5 was replaced by the iPhone 5C. Both the 5C and 5S came with iOS 7, but by the time iOS 7 was released and on shipping phones, the 5 was discontinued. Of course an iPhone 5C is an iPhone 5 with a different body.

8. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

depends on when it "left the factory". per the back of the box, it should come with iOS 6. IIRC, I believe it says what iOS is on the iPhone.

9. BlueMoonForever thread starter macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

----------

Says it was made week 32 of 2013.

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I wouldn't advise it. Both 7 and 8 have given developers so many new APIs that she's going to quickly find she's stuck using old versions of most apps. And it's a problem that will only get worse with time.

If you're worried about iOS 8 slowing it down and lagging I'd look into finding out how to get iOS 7 on it, at least.

(Although, personally, I'd put 8 on it and if there are problems then I'd turn off stuff like background app refresh and handoff/continuity.)

11. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Week 32 of 2013 is in August, roughly a month before iOS7 went to GM....so definitely iOS 6 there.

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I have to disagree. Up until early September I was using my iPhone 5 on iOS 6.1

Did everything I needed. Facebook, Twitter, email, iMessage, SMS, calls. Apple store app still worked and all of my other iOS 6 apps still worked too. Currently, the Apple store is still letting you install older versions if it detects an older OS.

Now if she wants to be running the latest apps then that's a different story.

But that's just my relevant experience. I'm only on iOS 7.1.2 right now because I had to replace my iPhone 5 and that's what it came with. If I could roll back to 6 I'd do it in a heartbeat.

13. BlueMoonForever thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. How come you don't like iOS 7?

----------

Thanks. How come you don't like iOS 7?

14. I7guy macrumors G5

Your mom would prefer ios6, which has a few security homes and FaceTime doesn't work.

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Ok, it's cool that you're fine with it but I feel funny suggesting to strangers on the internet that they run 2 year old apps that will never be upgraded again.

I mean, sometimes there's a good reason for that kind of advice but I'm drawing a blank here.

16. I7guy macrumors G5

I agree, it's like advocating acting going back to windows ME.

17. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Think about the user and their usage. My mother is in her late 70s and she's still using iOS 4. Updating her phone has never been an issue for her because it does everything she wants and needs.

I didn't even realize she was using iOS 4 until my sister asked me to set her up on iMessage!

Now, if the OP's mom is connected and wants to use the latest and greatest and/or does some serious banking on her phone that's a different matter altogether.

----------

I do not like it because I was jailbroken on iOS 6.1 and had everything set up the way I wanted it. I am jailbroken on iOS 7 now as well, but because of the OS itself a lot of things have changed. But chief among iOS 7's transgressions is all of that color. It's like Jony Ive picked up his kid from preschool and decided that primary colors were a great idea for iOS. Design by Fisher Price/Playskool and not Apple.

That's been mitigated somewhat for me because of Monochrome, a jailbreak tweak that will change all springboard icons to grayscale, but I still don't like the OS.

----------

Some people are ok with that.

My coworker assists me daily in putting out ads and layout pages for two weekly newspapers. She does it on a 2005 PowerMac G5 using Adobe CS4 and a bunch of other older apps.

Until last year, I used that Mac and she was using our PowerMac G4/450 with the same app load out. We make PDFs to send out to our printer. The apps don't matter and both the G4 and the G5 do exactly what we need them to do. There's only a Mac Pro now because the G5 died last year and needed to be replaced (I resurrected it later).

My point is some people don't NEED the latest. If the OP's mom does, then fine, I'd recommend upgrading. But if iOS 6 does what she wants and needs, why bother (with the exception of security of course).

18. I7guy macrumors G5

In today's age where everything is connected a fully patched o/s is needed. It's not how old the hardware is, it's how old the software is and how current are the patches.

Like you dislike IOS 7, iOS 6 looks so cartoonish compared to IOS 7, but more importantly it's not patched.

19. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I did and the user said nothing like "...and my mom has very basic needs."

If you were asking about MY mom she's going to want the latest and greatest. If you're asking about my dad, yeah, he was perfectly fine with his iPhone 4 and only took my old 5C because I literally gave it to him for free. He didn't really care.

So like you said it really does depend on the user. But I can't guess what kind of person his mom is. It's up to the OP to give us extenuating circumstances. He didn't. So I'm not going to just make assumptions about his mom. I'll give the advice that I think is the best generic average advice. (Which I peg as being halfway between my two parents.)

Should the OP come back with more details, I'll revise that advice.

20. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I get all that. But some people are more worried about security than others.

I am not one of those people. But then I do not use my phone for any serious banking or payment deals. I do not use it as my major browsing device and it's never out of my physical posession.

Further, at home I do not own a single Intel Mac. All of my Macs are PowerPC and the highest those Macs can run is Leopard 10.5.8. That's a security flaw that would probably seriously bug the heck out of you, but we've never had an issue. Again, we aren't doing major things that actually demand the kind of security you're referencing.

I am not ignoring security, I believe in it. But I am also not overly concerned if I don't have all of the latest patches or updates.

----------

Fair enough!

21. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

iOS 6 is fast on the iPhone 5 - that's the native iOS that shipped with the hardware originally. I would recommend letting your mom use it on iOS 6 for a while and then check if she really misses anything newer.

However, iOS 6 will auto download the iOS 8 installer package without any prompts the moment your mom plugs her phone into the charger with WiFi on. Once that happens, it will take over several GB of storage on the device with no way to recover that space, unless your mom upgrades to iOS 6. That was one of the insidious ways Apple would drive up new OS installation counts. Thankfully it has been changed on iOS 7 and now you can delete the installer package.

22. I7guy macrumors G5

I get what you say. People also don't think about why leaving their front door unlocked is a bad idea. I use my phone and PC for financial transactions, so I want my phone and workstation to be fully patched.

23. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah…I hear you. In your case I'd totally recommend what you are already doing.

24. BlueMoonForever thread starter macrumors 6502

She said she'll try it on 6, but how would she go to 7 since Apple quit signing it?

25. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

I don't think she could unless she gets the IPSW