Seam around edge of iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tony2979, Jul 16, 2008.

1. tony2979 macrumors newbie

Not sure exactly how to describe this, but bear with me. Along the seam around the edge of the iPhone 3g I am experiencing a "scratchy" sensation when rubbing my fingertip over it.

Does anyone else have this or know what it may be? It makes me think that the seam is completley together, but that may just be paranoia. Phone has never been dropped or handled roughly in anyway.

Thanks all!!!!

2. yode macrumors 6502

yea a couple of people have already posted about it, if the seem seems like its not sealed correctly, you can exchange it

3. tony2979 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool....just wanted to make sure it wasn't "in my head" before heading back to the Apple store :)

Thanks much!!!

4. bmms8 macrumors 68020

yore, can you confirm that it is exchangeble? The top left corner of my phone is not aligned properly but I don know if they will give me a new one just because of that. Thanks.

5. yode macrumors 6502

if it is a manufacturing defect, then they will exchange it. Yours sounds like it is, so it should be fine.

6. bmms8 macrumors 68020

great thanks for the quick reply.

7. bmms8 macrumors 68020

can someone please confirm this for me before i go back to the apple store....

Run your finger back and forth from the chrome to the back plastic (white or black) and please tell me if it scratches. It won't hurt but you can definitely hear it if it does. Thanks in advance!

8. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

Mine is like that, mostly along the long edges. When I get back in town, I'll break out my dremmel tool and the cotton pad attachment and smooth it out Not a huge deal. But rough/scratchy is the correct description.

9. bmms8 macrumors 68020

ok, i just want to make sure that this is normal behavior for the iphone before i accuse them of a faulty product, thanks! anyone else?

10. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

ive noticed on mine that the right side where it meets the chrome the chrome sits a little higher than on the left side, its a really small difference, you wouldnt really notice it unless you run your fingers back and forth comparing each side. nothing else is wrong with it though. what do you think i should do?

11. Ice Berg macrumors newbie

Ice Berg

Why would you do that to a $300 phone that you just got? You got wing wanged on that deal! Im glad I'm waiting, just wait till you get your bills and their all messed up too!!!

12. bmms8 macrumors 68020

Huh?

13. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

I'm talking light buffing. Same thing probably if you just rubbed the edge along your bluejeans for a bit.

14. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

I have the same problem. This phone has always felt so cheap since I got it and I assumed this was standard. Maybe I should try to return it also... Hmm. :/

15. bmms8 macrumors 68020

haha i was hoping people didnt have the problem that i have. it is not so much a problem, but when it is there, you know it. I don't think Apple will do anything about it since it seems to be "normal" I am going to the Apple store later today to return a case i bought for it so i will see the phones on display and ask at the genius bar as well.

16. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i am happy to report that i did get a new iPhone. The genius at my local UTC store in San Diego was very helpful and did not ask any questions. New iPhone does not have the seam problem and i am restoring now!

17. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

Just that easy, huh? No box, receipts or anything else you brought?

18. yode macrumors 6502

err..

19. bmms8 macrumors 68020

Well i had the box, and everything including receipt in the car. If he was going to say no i figured there is no point in bringing everything. He asked for the receipt but since it was in my car he pulled it up online. I didn't know this, but they only swap phones, they have replacements in small boxes. whole process took less than 10 minutes.

20. hsleiman macrumors regular

I also have a small gap on the top left side of my iPhone where I can see light bleed out when the LCD is on. I made an appointment at the apple store in Pittsburgh shadyside for tomorrow. Does anyone think they have stock to replace my 16gb black?

21. mkoesel macrumors regular

Mine's like that too and so is my wife's. I guess its just not precisely manufactured as it could be.

22. mac jones macrumors 68040

yes, mine also; first thing I noticed. It's not bad and like the above poster I started immediately to think 'file/dremel'.

they need to retool the machine that is causing this.

I'm sure they are aware (or will be soon)

I may actually return it to get a better one, but probably not.

how they could have let this slip by is anyones guess.

23. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

If you guys are having success in returning, then I'll try it as well. I figured I'd wait until there's ample stock, but I hear they have replacement units allocated in the back.

Apple ordered a huge freaking number of these to be made. There is no way to inspect all of them. That rough edge does make the phone feel cheap. I'm just happy I have one and will head on over to the genius bar this weekend.

How do you back the damn thing up though? All my apps and such? Does itunes do that automatically?

24. cambridge1807 macrumors member

Any updates to those who have the rough edges and tried to get a replacement?

I didn't notice this at first, then I opened this thread and it seems like my phone has some rough edges as well. Now that I know, it bothers me somewhat. I might make an appointment this week, but it seems like every store in SoCal is out of stock. Hopefully there will be ample stock with newer build weeks as well. -

25. bmms8 macrumors 68020

yes it worked for me no problem. the genius noticed the edges and he said let me look is we have replacements. the drawer was full of small white boxes.. stores might be out of retail boxes but i am sure they have replacements. good luck