Seamonkey and PHP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fr8tdog, Mar 3, 2010.

  1. fr8tdog macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2010
    #1
    My PHP suddenly stopped working. I've searched - even edited my php.ini.default file - and still no luck. It works fine in Safari (I know - but I want to use Seamonkey too ... grin) When I try to access a php page (like facebook.com) it asks what I want to do with the file. It's been working fine, and suddenly stopped with no apparent reason. I've searched everywhere - including on the Seamonkey page. Thanks in advance.
     
  2. splitpea macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2009
    Location:
    Among the starlings
    #2
    Your problem is most likely Apache, not PHP. It's not serving up an appropriate MIME type, which is what tells the browser what sort of file it's accessing.
     
  3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

    Darth.Titan

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2007
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    #3
    Sounds like you need to reinstall SeaMonkey or perhaps check their support forums.

    It's not "your PHP" that's not working. Your php.ini file is going to have no effect on how Facebook works. PHP is a server-side language, and thousands of other people are using the sites you mention without problems.

    You said the sites work in Safari, so your issue must be with SeaMonkey.
     
  4. splitpea macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2009
    Location:
    Among the starlings
    #4
    Oh, geez, I didn't even notice you were talking about third-party pages. So, yeah, what Darth.Titan said.
     
  5. fr8tdog thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2010
    #5
    I deleted Sea Monkey, and installed an older version. It still didn't work. Then I reinstalled 2.03 ... still no luck ... not sure what I can do - the Seamonkey forums don't seem to address this. Can I change my Apache? How would I do that?
     
  6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

    angelwatt

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2005
    Location:
    USA
    #6
    It's probably a cache issue. I've seen it pop up for people using various browsers. See this thread as an example. The problem can occur when using private browsing mode. Also be sure to try clearing your cache.
     
  7. splitpea macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2009
    Location:
    Among the starlings
    #7
    Ignore my first post. You don't have to do anything to Apache.

    Did Facebook ever work for you in Seamonkey? If so, you might want to back up / delete your preferences or your profile folder. If not, it's probably a problem with Facebook's server setup and Seamonkey and there may not be anything you can do about it.
     
  8. fr8tdog thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2010
    #8
    It was working fine with Facebook, and Seamonkey before. I tried deleting the cache, and still no luck. It tries to treat PHP as if it's an extension - like .wav or something ... wants to know what I want to do with it - save it ... or use it with an application.
     
  9. splitpea macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2009
    Location:
    Among the starlings
    #9
    Deleting the cache is not the same as deleting the preferences or the browser's profile folder, and I'm not surprised that it did not fix your problem, which is a configuration issue.
     
  10. grossbloke macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2010
    #10
     
  11. fr8tdog thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2010
    #11
    Apparently, FB fixed their problem. You were correct, in that it was their problem all along. Thank you everyone for all your help and suggestions. Good to know that there's help out there when I need it.
     

Share This Page