Search bar appeared on top of Facebook app, how do I remove it?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by sunking101, Mar 12, 2014.

1. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Any ideas? I haven't updated the app (there are no updates) and yet the search bar appeared today.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Facebook is always trying different options/layouts with some small subsets of users both with their site on the web and their mobile site and apps. Some users occasionally will get a slightly different layout either for a bit of time or for quite a long time. It's been like that for quite a while, just not that many people are often part of these trials, but randomly various people will get into one or another.

3. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

Even without an actual app update? It can just 'happen'? Blimey, I never knew that.

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yeah, just something they do on the server side, similar to how they would do it on their web site.

6. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

I am running iOS7 ;-)
    It happened today so I was wondering if *somehow* it was a setting within iOS7, rather than Facebook.

7. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

8. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

I have it too. I quite like it as it's easier to search Facebook now. It does disappear when you scroll down.

Attached Files:

9. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

This crappy search bar makes the screen smaller. I use the search feature less than 1% of the time, so for me it is unnecessary to have a quicklink which robs screen real estate.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

This might actually even be a new design (change) that is (slowly) rolling out to everyone/most.

11. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

So when you are scrolling through Facebook, it will disappear.

it's not much of an issue really.

12. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

True. I just hoped I could switch it off. I still don't understand how Facebook can change something on my phone without me updating or allowing it :-/

13. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Well they can. They changed something on THEIR app, not your phone. They often alter the UI on the server side.

I think you are making this into something it's not. It's a simple UI change. Nothing more.

----------

I didn't notice it earlier on today, so maybe you are right.

14. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

I have never known that to happen before and always assumed that apps stayed the same until I physically updated them, presuming an update is available. Learn something every day.

15. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Facebook are forever altering the UI of the app and their website, which seems to change daily. Sometimes they put in the release notes of an update something along the lines of 'Rolling out to everyone soon' in regards to a UI change. Spotify also do it.

16. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

I've just never noticed silent UI updates before and had assumed it was something to do with the iOS update, seeing how the search bar seems to mimic the spotlight search pulldown bar.

17. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Maybe they were inspired by Spotlight.

18. ron7624 macrumors 68020

ron7624

I've never searched Facebook. What do you search for? Does one use it instead of Google or Bing?

19. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

one of my passwords app all of a sudden had the same search box up at the top and bugged me out at first lol.

I chalked it up to 7.1

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

Search as a quick way to go to other Facebook pages (timelines of other users, groups, pages for products, people, etc.), and you can actually do searches for more complex things as well.

21. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

22. C DM macrumors Westmere

Just got it on my phone too, but at least on mine the background of the search text field is a shade of blue (with lighter text) rather than just a big white search box that I saw on another phone earlier. Sounds like some sort of a redesign is rolling out even for mobile apps.

23. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Yes. Why do people keep saying this whenever a Facebook thread or news item comes up? Millions and millions of people use and enjoy it.

Deal with it.

24. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Well, if you think about it, Facebook is changing all the time as your friends post statuses and make comments etc. It's by nature a dynamic application that connects to the internet to receive updates which determine its content (vs something like the Calculator app which is static). Once you understand that, it's not much more of a step to think that the layout of those content updates can also be amended dynamically. The contents and layouts we view through Safari are always changing too - without Safari updates! :D

25. Crusoe macrumors regular

Facebook's UI is set on the server side, not defined in the app itself. They can make changes on the fly for some or all users.

I read some time ago - possibly around September last year - an article explaining this, but I'm damned if I can find it now.