Search doesn't work in PDF without "pages"?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by n0d3, Sep 18, 2009.

1. n0d3 macrumors regular

I have trouble with this particular PDF (112 pages) in Preview. In Leopard, searching text was fine, however in SL the activity spin wheel thingy just goes on and on forever. Smaller PDFs have no problem and Spotlight is able to pick out keywords in this PDF.

Console gives the following everytime I try it:

18/09/09 5:00:23 PM Preview[6574] -[PDFDestination compare:] destination has no page

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

If it's just that particular PDF then it could be slightly malformed. Can you go print that PDF but save it as a new PDF via the drop down menu on the bottom left of the print dialog? Try searching in that new pdf.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If the PDF was created on a computer from a document it's probably searchable. If it was scanned and then saved as a PDF it's seen as a raster image for lack of better terms and not usually searchable.

4. n0d3 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah you're right, resaving it does make the PDF searchable again. I'm pretty sure it was fine in Leopard, I'll try again on another computer to see if the file got corrupted when I was transferring my documents or if it's just an SL thing.

Yeah, I know the difference, this one IS searchable.