Search Engine Optimization.

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Benchtech, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Benchtech, Jan 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2012

Benchtech macrumors member

I have made a new website which I hope over the next few years will become fairly popular. Whilst it is currently in maintenance mode why I wait for my SSL certificate to become active I've started to try and take steps to increase its position on the search engines.

I have installed search engine friendly URL's through my .htaccess file.

Is there anything I am missing here? I want to get it noticeable in the search engines.

Thanks, Ben.

2. John444, Jan 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2012

John444 macrumors member

Most search engines have a url submission page where you can submit your url for the search engine to look at your site. For example if you have a google account (or gmail) you can use their webmaster tools to submit a link to your site for free (just search google website submission). After this, it will take a few weeks for your site to show up. You can also submit a site map (submit the link to your sites site map) to show google about the other pages on your site. Once google has your site, other search engines will notice your sites (but it is a good idea to submit your site to all of them).

Oh and make sure you have your <meta> tags in the <head> section of each one of your pages:

<meta name="description" content="What you want in the description of your site in the search engines.">

<meta name="keywords" content="the, keywords, of, you, site, separated, by, a, comma">

Thats what I do for SEO. Good luck.

3. Benchtech thread starter macrumors member

Brilliant I will give all those a go, thanks alot for taking the time to reply! :)

4. John444 macrumors member

Your welcome

5. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I don't waste my time with the keywords meta tag. Google doesn't use it.

This document from Google can better tell you what you should focus your time on than pretty much any advice you'll get on this forum.

6. John444 macrumors member

Yes google does. Whatever you put as the meta tag description is the description that shows up on google. I have tested it many times.

7. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Google uses the description meta tag, that is true. As I said, however, they do not use the keywords meta tag.

8. John444 macrumors member

Oh ok, thats true, I miss read it before sorry. But surely other search engines must use it? so I would still include it (but just add the main keywords, don't bother adding tons of them).

9. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I believe Bing is the only search engine that still uses the keywords meta tag. Their 3% market share isn't worth the time/effort it takes to put quality keywords meta on every page of a site, IMO.