Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 9, 2000
Greetings all!

Is it possible to add the ability to search for a list of MR members based on Location?

I know that locations are notoriously inaccurate, but many people still put their real location there. But it would be beneficial, I believe. I'm going to be moving to a new city in the next few months, and rather than start a thread, I thought it would be nice to just produce a list of any MR members there via the search function. However, no such functionality exists.

What are your thoughts?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Assuming his location is a ZIP code, it is more accurate that most.

The problem would be that, aside from people such as myself who don't put an easily-decipherable location, there is no standard format. Even people who put their real location do it in different ways...ZIP codes, cities, metropolitan areas, states, etc. You'd have to standardize things somehow...and we don't like conformity here at MR. :D

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 9, 2000
WildCowboy said:
Assuming his location is a ZIP code, it is more accurate that most.

The problem would be that, aside from people such as myself who don't put an easily-decipherable location, there is no standard format. Even people who put their real location do it in different ways...ZIP codes, cities, metropolitan areas, states, etc. You'd have to standardize things somehow...and we don't like conformity here at MR. :D
I'm not calling for any kind of standardization, just a search box. ;)

It wouldn't be an all-inclusive search, as many people wouldn't be returned even if their actual location was searched for, but it is a lot better than the current search feature by Location. ;)

gallagb

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2004
IN
michaelrjohnson said:
I'm not calling for any kind of standardization, just a search box. ;)

It wouldn't be an all-inclusive search, as many people wouldn't be returned even if their actual location was searched for, but it is a lot better than the current search feature by Location. ;)

guess my one question:
to what end?

so what if we could do that
what would it do for ya?

knock on ur neighbor's door
*hey! i didn't know you were a mac user! so cool!
*hey! i didn't know you were a total geek! - get a life man.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
I think it's far more trouble than it seems. Besides, by starting a thread, you're more likely to find out who may be interested in meeting you than simply getting a list of users who live in a given area.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 9, 2000
gallagb said:
guess my one question:
to what end?

so what if we could do that
what would it do for ya?

knock on ur neighbor's door
*hey! i didn't know you were a mac user! so cool!
*hey! i didn't know you were a total geek! - get a life man.
emw said:
...Besides, by starting a thread, you're more likely to find out who may be interested in meeting you than simply getting a list of users who live in a given area.

You both missed the point. I dont' plan to try and have coffee with every MR member in the area... As I stated in the original post, I'm moving... out of state. It would be nice to have a list of people I could contact with questions about the area. For example, I'm currently looking at apartments. It would be nice to get a first-hand account of the types of neighborhoods I'm looking at.

emw said:
I think it's far more trouble than it seems...
The version of vBulletin MR uses already supports searching based on the Location field. It's a matter of turning that feature on.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
michaelrjohnson said:
You both missed the point. I dont' plan to try and have coffee with every MR member in the area... As I stated in the original post, I'm moving... out of state. It would be nice to have a list of people I could contact with questions about the area. For example, I'm currently looking at apartments. It would be nice to get a first-hand account of the types of neighborhoods I'm looking at.
Still wouldn't it be better to post a "Moving to Wherever. Need help to get to know the area."-thread in the Community section?

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 9, 2000
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Still wouldn't it be better to post a "Moving to Wherever. Need help to get to know the area."-thread in the Community section?
I'm not suggesting that I won't do that. Acutally, I plan on it, given the lack of the search feature. ;)

I do, however, feel that it would be easier to find a greater number of users if one could generate a list of potential MR members via a search feature. Relying on a thread is far less efficient. For example, If a particular user doesn't visit the forums before the thread is on Page 2, 3 or even 4, chances are, they will never see that thread. It's a lot more inefficent method.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
michaelrjohnson said:
I dont' plan to try and have coffee with every MR member in the area...
That's probably a good idea... ;)

I'm not trying to be too down on this idea, but it's one thing to know I've put my location out there on the site, but it's quite another to think I might get a PM from somebody asking about where to live, etc.

I guess it just seems weird to me.

Although I'm sure you're a nice guy and all. :)

By the way, where is it you're moving to - are you moving to 53402, or away from it?

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 9, 2000
emw said:
That's probably a good idea... ;)

I'm not trying to be too down on this idea, but it's one thing to know I've put my location out there on the site, but it's quite another to think I might get a PM from somebody asking about where to live, etc.

I guess it just seems weird to me.

Although I'm sure you're a nice guy and all. :)

By the way, where is it you're moving to - are you moving to 53402, or away from it?
j

I understand your point of view. I guess I feel that if I put up any information that could lead to contacting me, then I should assume I coudl be contacted. Not that I mind, but it would be a surprise for me too.

I'm going to be moving from 53402 (Racine, WI) to Cincinnati, OH in January. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.