Search for files on my external HD

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by D-a-a-n, Jan 9, 2013.

1. D-a-a-n macrumors regular

Hi,

When I'm searching for something on my external drive, 0 results come up..
    I've read that apparently you have to let spotlight index it, but I don't want to do this, I've set it not to in my system preferences..

So is it possible to search my external drive even when I set it not to get indexed by spotlight? (without using a 3rd party app)

Bye.

2. Bear macrumors G3

There are Terminal commands to help you search the drive but nothing with the interface like Spotlight. Look up 'grep'.

Why don't you want to enable spotlight on the external drive? You could always block some folders on it from being indexed if it doesn't make sense to index those folders and you could still use Spotlight to search the rest of the drive.

3. D-a-a-n thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, my previous OS was a linux distro so I know the available commands.. I've set it not to index it because every time I'm connecting the external hd it will index and keep my mac busy for a while :p.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Why would you not want Spotlight to index the drive? There's no disadvantage to having it indexed, other than the time it takes for the initial index.
    After the initial index, maintaining that index when you reconnect should be so quick as to be virtually unnoticeable.