Search for system files + wildcarding??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Thrash911, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Thrash911 macrumors 6502

Thrash911

Hey,

Had an iMac for about half a year now, and I kbnow how most things work, and I LOVE OS X. But somethings come up..

I used a file some time ago called "Eject.menu" which added an eject icon in the menu bar. I since removed it, and wanted to find it again. A simple search for the file yielded no results! I found it now, by looking around the folders manually. It was in "System->Library->CoreServices->Menu Extras". My questions..:

I could not find this file by searching for it. I copied the file to the desktop, and then I could find it by search.. Are system folders excluded from search? How can I search for system files in system folders? When I search for files I wanna search ALL OVER the harddrive.

How exactly does wildcarding work on a mac? For example, I try to search for jpg files with "*.jpg" but no results come up. If i just use "jpg" all the files with the ".jpg" extension do appear, but also files which may have "jpg" BEFORE the extension. How can I search for extensions only?

Bump.. :)

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

A picture can say more than a 1000 words, so here are 2:

Picture 1.jpg

Picture 2.jpg

In short: the Find function (cmd-F) in Finder is much better than Spotlight at specific searches, IMO, and the System Folder is kind of a special Folder, so you need to specify when you want to search in it...

;)

3. Thrash911 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thrash911

Sorry, I didn't know bumping wasn't allowed. Thought it was a common thing on discussion boards. My apologies! ;)

And thanks a lot for the great answer! Learned something new today! :)