Search Google via Spotlight

Discussion in 'macOS' started by covertsurfer, May 10, 2008.

1. covertsurfer macrumors 6502a

I don't know whether this is possible but is there a plugin or option to allow spotlight to search Google results. I know there is a Dashboard widget to search Google but I think a Spotlight type results section would be cool.

2. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

If you need to search Google results then you just define tighter criteria in the original search.

3. applefan69 macrumors 6502a

applefan69

thats true, because simply typing "safari" into google will give you MILLIONs of results in google. But typing "Safari" on your computer might give you like 50 results at most.

Althoguh this diea does sound neat if maybe spotlight just added a section, and i that section it would display the first 3 results google finds?

or even some kind of command like if i typed

google(*google search criteria goes here*) and it would search that in google would be real convienent.

Biggest problem I could see is since people have come to expect spotlight to be almost lightning fast... that if spotlight had to connect to the google servers EVERY time you used spotlight, it would slow spotlight down. On another hand the plugin could be developed to make searching google LAST priority. IDK this is a neat idea and if VERY possible I think...

4. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

Hi,

you could use Butler's built in search items to perform a Google search right from you Desktop. It's not plugin into Spotlight but it's definitely faster than the "regular" way.

Tell me, if you need help on it. There are a bunch of Butler tutorials on other topics on Mac Kindergarten.

/Rupert

5. pendolino macrumors member

pendolino

has anyone built something to do this by now in Lion maybe?

6. jesuisdanny macrumors newbie

You could use an app launcher like Alfred or Quicksilver to do searches on the web quite quickly.