Search in Apple Maps, route with Google Maps?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by jhtrico1850, Jul 9, 2014.

1. jhtrico1850 macrumors regular

2. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

It worked for me in iOS 8 B3. Wasn't there a similar feature in iOS 7? I thought you could already do this.

3. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

right now if you click transit directions in apple maps it'll let you launch any map/navigation app you have

i always search in apple maps then navigate in waze doing this

4. jhtrico1850 thread starter macrumors regular

I had no idea. Nice to know. It's such a clumsy method though and copying and pasting from Contacts to google maps seems easier...

Would be nice if Apple let us set default maps. Hopefully with all the Maps developers leaving Apple they will reconsider.

5. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

Honestly it becomes second nature. Just hit the arrow in the top left once you see the address in maps. Then hit transit and boom.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can do this from Siri also... just say "directions to nearest starbucks via transit" and you will get a screen showing other apps like Google Maps to launch for the directions. I use this with the "Send to Car" app to send directions to my car's NAV system.

7. klamse25 macrumors 6502a

klamse25

8. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

I thought this was a already feature in iOS 7, if not iOS 6.

The slight change with iOS 8 is that you get the Drive/Walk/App options after you route rather than before. Maybe this makes it more noticeable and easier to use.