Search in iCloud mail

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by ugahairydawgs, Mar 7, 2013.

1. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Anyone else having trouble getting search in iCloud email to work? I"ve gone into a few folders and searched for some generic words that I know are in several emails that I have within those folder and am getting either only partial results or no results at all. Happening on the web app and the iOS Mail app.

Anyone else experiencing similar issues?

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I've never been terribly impressed with the search feature in mail.app, .mac or icloud mail. I use gmail as my email repository and when I need to search it I go there. This is particularly true on my iOS devices where a search often brings up nothing but if I open a gmail app I find what I'm looking for within seconds every time. I have found that mail.app works better for searching if I point it to my gmail account via IMAP but for some reason the stuff in icloud seems to be there more for window dressing so Apple can say "you have email" but search does not seem to be as much a priority in Cupertino as it is in Mountain View.

The only down side is I don't fetch gmail and cache it on my phone so every search requires an active internet connection. On At&t in the Detroit metro area this is usually pretty solid. If I'm in a basement location, a prolonged search often involves a trip upstairs to get my LTE logo to light up in order to get timely results (To me timely results means having the answer before the person asking gives up and wanders away).